News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Aurangazeb ?Nusratgarh mint

Started by drnsreedhar, April 10, 2024, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drnsreedhar

This coin looks to me like from Nusratgarh mint. Please check and correct if needed. Thanks
Dr.Sreedhar

jkk

The right-side image looks to have a darb at the bottom. I'm curious where you see the mint name in and around that worn and indistinct area, or if you arrived at the mint determination through some other means.
Jonathan

drnsreedhar

Thank you for the reply.
Please see this one at zeno https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=273231&cat=3807&ppuser=&sortby=d&way=desc
 Unfortunately my coin is badly worn out at the bottom of the reverse. We can see two "zar" on the coin shown in zeno. The long horizontal line below sanah is "b" of zarb. So it was surmised that the zar of zarb on my coin was to its right and below and mostly off flan. Then the zar shown with overlay in brown might signify zar of Nazarat and the poorly visible dots on the worn out part could form part of "th". Nothing is suggestive of an alif after "th", ruling out any possibility of Nusratabad. So it was rather by elimination of other possibilities that this was presumed.
Dr.Sreedhar

jkk

Interesting, Dr. Sreedhar. Thank you for helping me follow your method.
Jonathan

drnsreedhar

Thank you Jonathan. I expect more experts to offer their views.
Dr.Sreedhar

asm

There are a few points I'd like to make.
1) On both ZENO as well as Paul Stevens Site, the earliest date recorded for Nusratgadh is RY 42. This coin is RY 40.
2) From all the images of coins of this mint, I have concluded that the engravers were complete novices. Almost all coins have the legend engraved differently.
3) If we compare the way the mint name is engraved on this coin with the main image of this post, we can conclude that the mint could well be Nusratgadh. However, the point to be noted is that the coin in the linked post should be confirmed to be Nusratgadh.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

abhinumis

In my humble submission this is Patna mint. In Patna mint 'Zar' is almost in the middle giving the impression that it is part of the mint but really the mint name is in corner
Dr.Abhishek

asm

Quote from: abhinumis on April 12, 2024, 11:12:56 AMIn my humble submission this is Patna mint. In Patna mint 'Zar' is almost in the middle giving the impression that it is part of the mint but really the mint name is in corner
Thanks Abhishek. I second this attribution. Patna it is.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

drnsreedhar

Thanks a lot Amit and Dr.Abhijith. It is Patna and matches well with #259089 of zeno.ru.
Dr.Sreedhar

Figleaf

:applause:  :applause: in particular to Abishek! Great thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

drnsreedhar

Dr.Sreedhar

cmerc

Interestingly, for Patna coins, the zarb eats up a lot of the space on the right and the name "Patna" tends to start more to the left. Often you can just see a few letters of "Pat..." even on well struck coins. Your coin seems to show this feature. Agree with above on Patna.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

drnsreedhar

Dear cmerc, Thank you for the post.

Patna coins of Aurangazeb has this feature. Another one in my cabinet that was misattributed to Burhanpur now turns out to be Patna!!
Dr.Sreedhar