News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

King Charles III 50 pence coin unveiled

Started by <k>, September 30, 2022, 01:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Charles III.jpeg

UK 50p pence 2022 Charles III.webp

Images copyright of the Royal Mint.

From the Guardian:

King Charles III 50p coin unveiled ahead of circulation this year.

A new 50p design featuring an image of King Charles III has been unveiled by the Royal Mint and will enter circulation by the end of the year.

The King's effigy, which has received the personal approval of Charles, was created by sculptor Martin Jennings, the Mint said. As is tradition, the King's portrait will face to the left, the opposite direction from Queen Elizabeth II.

The design will start to appear on circulating and commemorative coins produced over the coming months.

Anne Jessopp of the Royal Mint stated: "The portrait was sculpted from a photograph of the King, and was inspired by the iconic effigies that have graced Britain's coins over the centuries."
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

From the Telegraph:

Change of reign: New commemorative coins to feature both King and late Queen.

The public will start to see the King's image in their change from December, as 50p coins depicting the King gradually enter circulation to meet demand.

The first portrait of King Charles III to appear on currency was unveiled on Friday as the Royal Mint marks the end of one era and the start of another with its first "double monarch" coin.

The new King's image, designed to look "more human" than previous official portraits of sovereigns, will appear on commemorative £5 coins and 50p coins in circulation before the end of the year.

The King's effigy has been created by sculptor Martin Jennings, and has been personally approved by him, the Mint said.

The final image was presented to him for approval following the death of his mother and was created from photographs rather than a live sitting.

<k>

eurocoin

After years of preparations, they just throw the portrait out like garbage. Not even a proper unveiling event. As for the portrait itself, I don't like the hair. The counterfeiters will be grateful for the lack of texture though.

Tirant

Quote from: eurocoin on September 30, 2022, 08:16:45 AMAs for the portrait itself, I don't like the hair.

He doesn't have that much hair, in fact.

Alan71

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on September 30, 2022, 11:07:53 AMI wonder how long ago it was prepared?

From the Telegraph:

The King's effigy has been created by sculptor Martin Jennings, and has been personally approved by him, the Mint said.

The final image was presented to him for approval following the death of his mother and was created from photographs rather than a live sitting.

But I do wonder how early the project was started.

Alan71

I wonder if all of these designs were prepared a year ago?  The Queen started to become ill then, so things like this must have been in preparation.  I don't believe for a second that all of this has been decided on since her death.

GCVO

The article in the Times says that "The sculptor Martin Jennings produced the concept for the portrait, which was personally approved by Charles, a year ago."

And I can't find it now, but while the Queen was still alive, I read a story that mentioned that not only had an effigy recently been made, but that it was actually (at least) the second, with there having been another one before that depicting the now-King at a younger age.

Alan71

On a related note, it seems that Bank of England banknotes featuring Charles may not circulate until 2024, and when they do, it will be a continuation of the existing Series G reverse designs.  As polymer notes were intended to last longer, we may not see too many with his portrait for quite some time.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2022/september/boe-banknotes-featuring-hm-king-charles-iii

Mister T

Quote from: GCVO on September 30, 2022, 12:58:37 PMThe article in the Times says that "The sculptor Martin Jennings produced the concept for the portrait, which was personally approved by Charles, a year ago."

And I can't find it now, but while the Queen was still alive, I read a story that mentioned that not only had an effigy recently been made, but that it was actually (at least) the second, with there having been another one before that depicting the now-King at a younger age.

Ah makes sense.

eurocoin

Martin Jennings wrote the following on his website: "I am proud to have designed and modelled the image of HM King Charles III for the new national coinage. I will be able to provide more information in a few days' time but for any immediate queries please contact The Royal Mint".

eurocoin

To my surprise, in recent days I came across quite a few posts and comments of people who are disappointed about his name not being mentioned in latin. Gregory Edmund, senior numismatist at Spink & Son, also started a petition to have the latin name included on the coinage.