News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Music: Stringed Instruments on Coins

Started by <k>, February 11, 2011, 05:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Recently I posted here proudly stating that I had completed a 4 coin set from Kazakhstan, lovely large silver pieces with historic musical instruments. I soon after discovered that I was in error and there was a 5th coin to the set. Well, after considerable hunting and very luckily hooking up with a coin seller in Kazakhstan, I received the elusive 5th coin. So now, I can correctly post the complete set from 2001-2005. Without doubt, this is among my favorite sub sub sub sets...or whatever...

In my next life, I would like to attempt the complete 500 tenge series. I think the designs are quite exceptional for the most part. Also, there are several lesser Kazakhstan music coins and 1 additional 500 tenge coin that is not primarlly dedicated to a cultural musical instruments. I have these pieces, but the set of 5 coins below in my mind is a true favorite series. 

2001-"Stringed Instrument", 2002-"Music Instruments", 2003-"Cultural Artifacts", 2004-Zhetigen, 2005-Adyrna
   Warm greetings from Alan in Massachusetts

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Alan Glasser

Hello, Miner and Bimat.

Thanks for the posts!!! The France and San Marino pieces I have already, though I must admit that the San Marino piece proved to be quite a challenge. The Swiss and Japanese pieces I have never seen so the will be added to my "want list"...and thanks! In the past couple of months, I have gotten a bit away from collecting...and spending time with all the terrific collectors here. I've been just too busy...but I hope soon to be "back online" soon and back to collecting.

Aditya. Thanks for posting the Latvia piece. You saved me some time as my example arrived about a week ago. I haven't even had time to incorporate it into my albums. I might make a tri[p to the bank on Friday.

Greetings everyone, from Alan in the U.S.A.

Bimat

Quote from: alglasser on August 21, 2013, 10:27:06 PM

The Swiss and Japanese pieces I have never seen so the will be added to my "want list"...

Alan,

The Japanese coin comes in a number of versions:

• Bimetallic ¥500 (raw unc);
  • Bimetallic ¥500 (BU);
  • Bimetallic ¥500 (Proof);
  • Bimetallic ¥500 (BU) with ¥80 stamps;
  • 1Oz  colored silver proof ¥1000 (Simple version);
  • 1Oz  colored silver proof ¥1000 with ¥80 stamps (Deluxe version).

It will indeed be a (financial ;)) challenge to get all of these..

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Ever wanted to own a Stradivari? Here is your chance. ;D  Niue issues the "first coin ever with varnished handmade wood inlay". $1, Ag999 (1oz), commemorating the 170th anniversary of Antonio Stradivari's birth. Mintage 999, individually numbered on the edge.

Christian

Alan Glasser

WOW, Christian.

That's a beauty!!! I'm going to go look for one...though I haven't been hunting for coins much of late. This one is quite the exception. The question  is, "is it affordable"?

I guess I'll find out.

MANY thanks. Alan in Massachusetts

chrisild

Quote from: alglasser on January 03, 2014, 12:21:19 AM
The question  is, "is it affordable"?

Different people would answer that question differently. ;) But I actually have no idea how much this piece will be; noticed it in the World Money Fair catalog (PDF, 20 MB), in an "Art Mint" ad. I have not seen the coin at that company's website, but they do have a mysterious looking "Coming soon" box there ...

Christian

Destrans

<k>

Mongolia, 25 tugrik, 1989.  Save the Children.  Boy playing horsehead fiddle.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Austria €5 (2016): Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra's New Year's Concert.

Aditya

chrisild

Next year Germany starts a new series of €50 gold coins featuring musical instruments. The first piece will have a double bass, see here.

Christian

Sgard

Austria 50 Shillings 1967

Johan Strauss plays a violin

<k>

French Pacific Territories, 200 francs, 2021.   N# 310911.

A ukelele is featured at bottom right.

<k>

Mauritania, 2 ouguiya, 2018.    N# 160359

The instrument featured on this design looks like a xalam, which is also known as a molo.

It is a sort of African lute.

The design on the coin shows a xalam overlaid over a depiction of the lower part of a xalam.