English Coinage of the Tudors

Started by Deeman, May 12, 2022, 10:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

Elizabeth I hammered halfpenny

The halfpenny was struck in the sixth issue at a weight of 4 grains, 0.925 fine and again in the seventh issue at a reduced weight of 3.87 grains with the fineness retained. The diameter is 9-11mm. The obverse depicts a portcullis with chains, initial mark above. The reverse design is a cross moline with a trio of pellets in each quadrant.

1583-84 sixth issue halfpenny, 'A' initial mark.

1584-86 sixth issue halfpenny, escallop initial mark.

1596-98 sixth issue halfpenny, key initial mark.

1602 seventh issue halfpenny, '2' initial mark.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled half-pound

The milled half-pound was struck in 0.917 fine 'crown gold' (22ct) and had the same weight as the hammered half-pound. The milled half-pounds are of similar type to the hammered ones, but the queen's bust is larger, her armour much more richly ornamented and there is no inner circle on either side.

The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left, within a circumscription translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen'. The reverse depicts a crowned shield with the arms of England and France flanked by the letters 'E-R' within a circumscription of SCUTUM FIDEI PROTEGET EAM translating to 'The shield of faith shall protect her.'

1561-64 half-pound, star initial mark both sides (struck 1561 to 1564).
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops.
Reverse inscription is SCVTVM FIDEI PROTEGET EAM, pellet stops.

1567 half-pound, lis initial mark both sides (only struck 1567).
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D' G' ANG' FRA' ET HIB' REGINA, pellet stops.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled crown

The milled crown was struck in 0.917 fine 'crown gold' (22ct) and had the same weight as the hammered crown. The designs and inscriptions follow those of the half-pound.

1561-64 crown, star initial mark both sides (struck 1561 and 1564).

1567 crown, lis initial mark both sides (only struck 1567).

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled halfcrown

The milled halfcrown was struck in 0.917 fine 'crown gold' (22ct) and had the same weight as the hammered halfcrown. The designs and inscriptions follow those of the half-pound. Struck 1564 and 1567.

1567 halfcrown, lis initial mark both sides.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled pattern shilling

The earliest English milled coin struck by Elloye Mestrelle with his horse-driven mill was a pattern shilling struck in either Dec or Jan 1560 (Julian calendar). It had an initial mark of a mullet (5-pointed star) which was reserved for pre-production pieces, the currency milled pieces having a 6-pointed star.

The milled shilling was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered shilling. The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left within a circumscription, commencing with an initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a long cross fourchée surmounted by a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross, commencing with an initial mark, is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1560 pattern shilling, mullet initial mark both sides.
Reverse inscription is POSVI / DEVM AD / IVTORE / M MEVM, pellet stops.

A pattern shilling, struck in 1595, of particularly fine work and so evenly struck, that it is thought to have been executed by the mill. It was struck on a large flan (32mm) and is the only issue with an elaborately garnished shield. Only three are known to exist.

1595 pattern shilling, large key initial mark on obverse, small key on reverse.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FR ET HIB REGI, pellet stops.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled shilling

The milled shilling was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered shilling. The designs and inscriptions follow those of the 1560 pattern shilling and they were only struck in 1561.

1561 milled shilling, star initial mark both sides, large flan (>31mm). (Extremely rare.)
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, plain dress.

1561 milled shilling, star initial mark both sides, large flan (>31mm).
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, decorated dress.

1561 milled shilling, star initial mark both sides, intermediate flan (30-31mm).
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, decorated dress.

1561 milled shilling, star initial mark both sides, small flan (<30mm).

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled sixpence

The milled sixpence was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered sixpence. More than three-quarters of Mestrelle's total output was in sixpences. Struck each year of milled production between 1561 and 1571. No milled coinage of any denomination was struck in 1565 and 1569.

The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left with rose behind, within a circumscription, commencing with an initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a long cross fourchée surmounted by a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms with the date above. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross, commencing with an initial mark, is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1561 dated milled sixpence, star initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, small bust, decorated dress, large rose.

1562 dated milled sixpence, star initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, tall narrow bust, plain dress.

Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, tall narrow bust, decorated dress.

Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FRA ET HIB REGINA, pellet stops, large broad bust, small rose, decorated dress.

1567 dated milled sixpence, lis initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D' G' ANG FR & HI' REGINA, pellet stops, small bust.
Reverse inscription is POSVI / DEV AD / IVTORE / M MEV, pellet stops.

1570 dated milled sixpence, lis initial mark both sides. (Extremely rare.)
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G / AИ F & HI REGIИA, pellet stops, large crude bust breaking inscription, retrograde N's.

1571 dated milled sixpence, castle (over lis) initial mark both sides. (Extremely rare.)
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G / AИ F & HI REGIИA, pellet stops, large crude bust breaking inscription, retrograde N's.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled groat

The milled groat was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered groat. It was only struck in 1561. The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left, within a circumscription, commencing with a star initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a long cross fourchée surmounted by a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross, commencing with a star initial mark, is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1561 milled groat, star initial mark both sides.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled threepence

The milled threepence was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered threepence. It was struck in 1561 through to 1564. The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left with rose behind, within a circumscription, commencing with a star initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is normally a long cross fourchée surmounted by a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms with the date above. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross, commencing with a star initial mark, is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1561 dated milled threepence, star initial mark both sides. (Very rare.)
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FR & HIB REGINA, pellet stops, small bust, plain dress.

1562 dated milled threepence, star initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FR & HIB REGINA, pellet stops, tall narrow bust.

1562 dated milled threepence, star initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FR & HIB REGINA, pellet stops, broad bust, decorated dress, small rose.

1564 (4 over 2) dated milled threepence, star initial mark both sides. (Extremely rare.)
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D G ANG FR & HIB REGINA, pellet stops, broad bust, decorated dress.
Reverse inscription is POSVI / DEVM AD / IVTORE / M MEVM, pellet stops, long cross pattée.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled pattern threepence

Derek Anthony, goldsmith of London, is thought to have used Mestrelle's machinery to produce pattern sixpences dated 1574 and 1575 and threepences dated 1575. Only one of each of the sixpences are known and both are in the British Museum and four threepences are known, two of which are in museums. They have an initial mark of a mullet (5-pointed star) reserved for pre-production pieces.

The obverse depicts a crowned profile large ornate bust of the queen facing left with rose behind, with a circumscription translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a long cross pattée surmounting a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms with the date above. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1575 dated milled pattern threepence, mullet initial mark both sides.
Obverse inscription is ELIZABETH D' G' ANG FRA' & HIER REGINA, pellet stops.
Reverse inscription is POS / VI DEV' AD / IVTOREM / MEV', pellet stops.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled half-groat

The milled half-groat was struck in 0.925 fine silver and had the same weight as the hammered half-groat. It was only struck in 1561. The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left, within a circumscription, commencing with a star initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a long cross fourchée surmounted by a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms. The circumscription divided across the quadrants of the cross, commencing with a star initial mark, is POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

1561 milled half-groat, star initial mark both sides.

Deeman

Elizabeth I milled three-farthings

The milled three-farthings, struck in 0.925 fine silver, had the same weight as the hammered three-farthings. It was only struck in 1563. The obverse depicts a crowned profile bust of the queen facing left with rose behind, within a circumscription, commencing with a star initial mark, translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, a rose without a thorn.' The reverse design is a long cross pattée surmounting a square-topped shield bearing the Queen's arms with date above within a circumscription, commencing with a star initial mark and divided across the quadrants of the cross, of CIVITAS LONDON, City of London.

1563 dated milled three-farthings, star initial mark both sides. Only three examples known.
Obverse inscription is E D G ROSA SINE SPINA, pellet stops.
Reverse inscription is CIVI / TAS / LON / DON.

Deeman

Elizabeth I portcullis money

The pioneering merchants of East India Company (EIC) were awarded a Royal Charter on 31 Dec 1600 giving them the right to monopoly on trade in the East. A warrant was signed on 11 Jan 1600/01 (1600 Julian calendar, 1601 Gregorian calendar adopted 1752) authorising the coinage of four trade coins: 8, 4, 2, and 1 testern. They were equivalent in weight to the Spanish 8, 4, 2 and 1 réal pieces. It is believed that Elizabeth insisted on her own trade coinage as means of demonstrating that she was just as powerful as the king of Spain, which would only be effective if it was based on the prevailing international trade coin of the time, the Spanish dollar (8 réales). So, she introduced coinage that was minted in the exact same specification as the Spanish denominations, commonly known as 'pieces of eight'. This coin was formally named the testern, simply the English name for the Spanish one réal, or one-eighth of a dollar, which became known as 'Portcullis Money' due to its design. The official weight of the 8-testern coin was 422.8 grains, 0.925 fine, with lower denominations in proportion.

The queen had become increasingly irritated at having to use either the Dutch Lion dollars and the Spanish 8 réales, which were then the major coins used in trading amongst nations, as England received no publicity for her coinage or government in the process. Part of the problem was the fact that English law made it a criminal offence to export silver or gold coins from the country. Customs officials were especially vigilant on this point, and the trading companies needed official permission to take silver out of England. The use of her portrait was rejected in deference to Moslem sensibilities in the East Indies. Rulers and merchants located in that particular region would simply not have accepted coins with a female portrait. So, Elizabeth reluctantly agreed to the use of a portcullis as a mark of English symbolism.

Elizabeth insisted that the EIC carried the new testern coins on each voyage. Just over £6,000 worth of 'Portcullis Money' was loaded onto the vessels of the first trade voyage in 1602. When the fleet arrived in the East Indies many of the coins were melted down, and very few returned to England. The trading voyage was a success, but the leading ship captain reported that these special English trade dollars and fractions were not readily accepted, even if the queen's portrait did not appear. Later voyages by the EIC to the Indies, undertaken in 1604 and 1608, did not carry the testern coinage.

The obverse depicts a crowned shield with the arms of England and France flanked by the crowned letters 'E-R' within a circumscription, commencing with the initial mark '0', translating to 'Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, queen.' The reverse design is a crowned portcullis with chains within a circumscription, commencing with the initial mark '0', of POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM or abbreviation thereof which translates to 'I have made God my helper' from Psalms 54:4.

Deeman

Elizabeth I pledge coinage

Elizabeth did not issue halfpennies until 1582 and never issued farthings. The scarcity of such coins led to the issue of halfpenny and farthing tokens stamped by traders such as grocers, vintners, alehouse keepers etc., but these were subject to frequent complaints about their quality. They were made from lead, tin, latten (an alloy of copper and zinc resembling brass) and even leather. The other problem was that they could only be used in the same place from whence they came. Proposals were made to replace these tokens by coins struck in base silver, but Elizabeth would not countenance a breach of fine standard silver. Instead, around 1575/6, she accepted a proposal for a copper 'pledge' issue of 24 grains for the halfpenny and 12 grains for the farthing for universal use throughout her realm. Her proclamation was never published nor did the coinage spoken of take place. Silver and copper pattern pieces of the halfpenny are known, but none of the farthing. The silver version (4oz standard) was reconsidered due to the likelihood of counterfeiters producing very profitable imitations of the copper version. It was probably on the failure of this project that the queen granted a license to Bristol to coin copper tokens that featured a ship on one side with the other side signifying civitas Bristol.

A second striking of pattern pledge coinage in 1601 involved the penny and halfpenny, the latter being redesigned. Again, these designs were never issued.

Ca. 1575/6 pattern base silver halfpenny pledge on 16mm flan.
Obverse features a crowned royal monogram with the inscription, divided by the monogram, of THE / PLED / GE OF.
Reverse features a crowned double rose with the inscription, continued from the obverse, of A HALFPENNY.

1601 pattern silver penny pledge, 0.925 fine.
Obverse features a crowned three-quarters bust to the left in elaborate mantle and high ruff and jewels, with the inscription THE PLEDGE OF.
Reverse features a crowned royal monogram with the date flanking the crown and the inscription, continued from the obverse and divided by the monogram, of A / PEN / NY.

1601 pattern silver halfpenny pledge, 0.925 fine.
Obverse features a crowned royal monogram.
Reverse features a portcullis with chains, date above.

There was a third 1601 pattern piece which maybe either twopence, a groat or a medalet. It was struck in gold, silver and copper which would suggest that it is a medalet. The designs are the same as the pledge penny but the inscriptions are UNUM A DEO DUOBUS SUSTINEO translating to 'With the help of God I sustain one with two' on the obverse and, on the reverse, AFFLICTORUM CONSERVATRIX translating to 'Preserver of the afflicted.' The year 1601 is marked by events which might reasonably account for the title 'Preserver of the afflicted' conferred upon Elizabeth as provision was made for sick and wounded seamen and soldiers, the misapplication of charitable funds was remedied and monopolies were suppressed.

1601 gold, silver and copper distress relieved pieces.

Deeman