News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Royal Mint to introduce new design on standard 1 pound coin

Started by eurocoin, May 10, 2022, 10:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Early 2023, the Royal Mint will introduce a new design on its standard circulating 1 pound coin. This year was chosen to mark the 40th anniversary of the modern £1. The coin will feature a design by Kenyan artist Michael Armitage. It will be minted for general circulation. Master of the Mint Rishi Sunak announced that Mr Armitage's new design will celebrate the culture, creativity, heritage and history of the UK in the 21st century.

Deeman

At last, a circulating coin with a departure from heraldry.

Offa

Hopefully it's not a woke box ticking exercise like the diversity 50p
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

agoodall

I hope so too but judging by the Royal Mint's lax issuing policies over the last few years, I'll withhold judgement until I see the coin! I hope it also avoids politically contentious subjects like Brexit. The national coinage should be representative of the issuing country, inclusive but not politically divisive. This can lead to bland designs, like the standard euro coins (in my opinion), but this shouldn't be a consideration in a single issuing authority like the UK. I hope we can get away from heraldic designs when the next redesign of the decimal coinage takes place, probably when Charles ascends the throne. Maybe a redesign with a new theme every ten years? I was never a fan of the original Ironside designs for the decimal coinage but I've gained a new appreciation of them since the shield designs were introduced in 2008.

Offa

I sent a set of designs to the mint for UK dogs on the reverse of the 50p. A set of for and one dog for each country of the union.

England bull terrier
Scotland. Westie
Wales corgi
Northern Ireland wolfhound.

<k>

Quote from: Offa on May 12, 2022, 11:28:16 AMI sent a set of designs to the mint for UK dogs on the reverse of the 50p. A set of for and one dog for each country of the union.

Did you design them yourself?

I remember "Bullseye" (an English bull terrier) from the 1968 film "Oliver". Not a good role model, I think.  :-X
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offa

Yes I designed them with the dog on a latent background image of the country's flag.

<k>

So you copied the wolfhound from Percy Metcalfe and the West Highland terrier from the 1979 Royal Mail Stamps. You included a corgi to please the Queen, and you'd just been watching "Oliver", so you included the English bull terrier.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on May 10, 2022, 10:45:25 PMEarly 2023, the Royal Mint will introduce a new design on its standard circulating 1 pound coin.

Is this a one year thing, or will this new design be the standard for the next couple of years?

chrisild

Quote from: redlock on May 12, 2022, 07:28:56 PMIs this a one year thing, or will this new design be the standard for the next couple of years?

The latter. :)  "The design will become the standard circulating £1 coin and will include the current world-leading high security features to protect against counterfeiting. This is the first time that the new 12-sided £1 coin has been redesigned since its introduction in 2017."

eurocoin

I hope that my predictions for the design will turn out to be incorrect.

Figleaf

Oh, the restraint shown! Five years without a new actually circulating pound coin! Imagine! It's like a child that has to go without an ice cream for five whole days. ::)

But wait. Maybe they are afraid the current world-leading high security features to protect against counterfeiting are undercut. After all, a change in design is to protect against counterfeiting. Or ...

It's all so confusing. :-\

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offa

Quote from: <k> on May 12, 2022, 05:35:04 PMSo you copied the wolfhound from Percy Metcalfe and the West Highland terrier from the 1979 Royal Mail Stamps. You included a corgi to please the Queen, and you'd just been watching "Oliver", so you included the English bull terrier.

The westie is actually from a photograph of my show winning dog, and the wolfhound is a representation from the book of British dogs. My daughter has a pedigree English bull terrier who's sire won crufts best in breed and it is a photo of him. The corgi is perhaps the best known breed of dog originating in wales hence that is included, Please don't be so judgemental and insulting in your assumptions

agoodall

I'm sure he was joking! Out of interest, any chance of seeing your designs?

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on May 12, 2022, 09:06:10 PMI hope that my predictions for the design will turn out to be incorrect.

So do I. But I fear the worst...

Any leaks of the new design yet?