News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bishop designs commemorative round £1 coin

Started by <k>, May 13, 2016, 11:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

St Asaph bishop designs commemorative round £1 coin.

A final commemorative round £1 coin has been struck using a design created by the Bishop of St Asaph following a Royal Mint competition.

It features the Welsh dragon, the English lion, the Scottish unicorn and a stag for Northern Ireland.
Rt Rev Gregory Cameron has also been able to incorporate his initials.

The final batch of round £1 coins for public circulation were struck at the mint in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, in December.
A new 12-sided £1 coin, billed by the Royal Mint as the "most secure coin in the world", is to be introduced in 2017.

Rt Rev Cameron, an amateur artist and coin collector, said: "I am absolutely delighted and proud that I have designed the very last commemorative round pound coin.

"In my design, the four heraldic beasts are equal - each has its quarter of the coin.

"There is also some cross-over - parts of each beast cross over into the next. That makes it more dynamic and also symbolic as it shows four separate nations, all an equal part, yet interlinked as they protect Britain's sovereignty, the Crown.

"As a Welshman, I put my initials GKC under the dragon."

Royal Mint commemorative coins director Anne Jessopp said the commemorative "farewell" pound was all the more special, given it was the last.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

I like the way the Royal Mint is marketing this as a new issue, even though it appears in the year sets first issued in December!  I'm glad that, for once, I don't have to fork out £10 for one coin.

quaziright

I have to say the bishop did a fantastic job. Love the heraldy, the asymmetric symmetry (if that can exist !). Its a busy design no doubt, but worthwhile in this case

<k>

The design, I agree, is very well done. It's difficult to bring heraldry alive in these modern times.

augsburger

I don't particularly like the coin (or hate it), but I do think it's better than the one which will go on the new pound coins from next year.

Alan71

I quite like this design.  I also like the one from last year that's now quite commonly encountered in circulation.  Something like that would have been better for the new version.  The design selected is OK - to me, it's reminiscent of the 1984-87 designs - but I think it only really works as a one-year design.  Perhaps that is the plan, to continually rotate the designs.  The system they used from 2008 onwards - one definitive design issued every year plus up to two others - was a bit much (but then, it allowed the Royal Mint to make money from collectors).

<k>

Here's a reminder of the Bishop's design. Unfortunately, it has only been issued in sets.

<k>

The 2015 design, which is NOT by the Bishop, also includes a unicorn, and it does circulate. I have received about 6 of these in change so far.

kena

And this is what the 2016 Last Round looks like as sold by the Royal Mint.

Alan71

The round pound finishes on its 25th different reverse design.  Is that more than any other territory?  For years, Jersey was ahead as, by 1994, it had issued 19 different designs.  The UK was merely on its seventh then.  I don't think the UK had equalled it until the completion of the city designs in 2011.  Jersey didn't issue any new designs after 1994.

Deeman

RM have published mintage figures for the last £1 round coin:

The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Brilliant Uncirculated: 96,089
The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Gold Proof: 499
The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Silver Piedfort: 2,993
The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Silver Proof: 7,491
The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Brilliant Uncirculated in tubes: 68,537
The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom Visitor Centre Exclusive Strike Your Own Coin: 39,431
Farewell & Nations of the Crown 2016 UK £1 BU Coin: 9,850

PRB

Quote from: Deeman on February 09, 2019, 10:33:53 AM
RM have published mintage figures for the last £1 round coin:

...The Last Round Pound 2016 United Kingdom £1 Brilliant Uncirculated in tubes: 68,537...

Apologies for the thread-necro but I was having a look around for minting figures for this coin and found this listing on the Royal Mint site - what is meant by 'tubes' exactly? Is that 68,537 tubes containing a fixed number of coins (if so, how many coins per tube?), or is it the number of coins that went into these 'tubes'?

agoodall

I think tubes refers to the unpackaged BU coins supplied to Westminster Collections (possibly other dealers too, I'm not sure) for sale in their own packaging.

FosseWay

These tubes must be a strange size, or one or more of them was not full, since the only factors of 68,537 other than itself and 1 are 7 and 9791.  ;D

PRB

Quote from: agoodall on September 06, 2021, 03:36:01 AM
I think tubes refers to the unpackaged BU coins supplied to Westminster Collections (possibly other dealers too, I'm not sure) for sale in their own packaging.

Yes, I think that would be my best guess. I had a look at the 2016 Royal Mint site on the Internet Archive and couldn't see tubes available to the general public.

Quote from: FosseWay on September 06, 2021, 07:23:15 AM
These tubes must be a strange size, or one or more of them was not full, since the only factors of 68,537 other than itself and 1 are 7 and 9791.  ;D

Yeah I realised that too - it doesn't even lend itself to buying the coins in quantities of 1000 or some other reasonable number.