North Korea, 1 Won, 1987

Started by andyg, April 04, 2021, 12:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

before and after the palace was re-grouted  :)
Not a variety I've seen explained anywhere   (one for Ole)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Clearly different dies. Perhaps most obvious: the circle of dots in the half-circle opening dead centre, but see also the "blocks" above the two horizontal lines in the foreground. Pure speculation, but it looks like the die used for the upper coin was made outside North Korea (China?), while the die for the one shown below was made locally.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

"Grouting on coins". Now there's a topic I don't have on my Thematics board. But our members have hidden talents. Apparently andyg won the 1997 Nobel Prize for Grouting.  8)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Afrasi

What is the meaning of to grout? Google doesn't help ...

andyg

this man is grouting some brickwork.... :)

Prosit

Looks to me like he isn't grouting but is caulking the grout joints   >:D

Dale

Quote from: andyg on April 05, 2021, 08:43:41 PM
this man is grouting some brickwork.... :)

FosseWay

Quote from: Afrasi on April 05, 2021, 08:38:41 PM
What is the meaning of to grout? Google doesn't help ...

Grout (as noun) = Mauerwerkfuge in this context, I think.

The verb means to chisel out old grout and replace it with new to prevent moisture getting into the mortar.

Caulking must be a transatlantic difference in English. For me caulking is the similar process but using very different materials that you apply to wooden ships, especially clinker-built (as in the classic Viking longship), where tar, horsehair and other flexible materials are forced into the spaces between the planks to make the ship watertight. I've never heard it applied to brickwork before.

Repointing is another term used for this process as applied to replacing/protecting the mortar in brickwork. But grout(ing) also applies to the mortar-like substance between floor or wall tiles. Here there is no mortar as such, as the tiles are held in place by adhesive on the back of the tile, not by material between the tiles. The grout is there to stop water and dirt getting into the cracks between the tiles. Here "grout" is the only term AFAIK in British English.

Prosit

Caulking is or was also used in plumbing in cast iron pipe.  That pipe was caulked with a jute or jute like material called Oakam. That prevented the poured molten lead from entering the pipe.

The word caulk has many different uses as does grouting.
Usually in grout it is a cement like material but in some drilled wells it is can also be a bentonite product. Others too I am sure.

Basically grout would be something to fill cracks or joints and to hold something together where caulking would be to prevent seepage.

However we can be sure that there is no standard in world wide usage.

Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on April 05, 2021, 10:25:56 PM
Grout (as noun) = Mauerwerkfuge in this context, I think.

The verb means to chisel out old grout and replace it with new to prevent moisture getting into the mortar.

Caulking must be a transatlantic difference in English. For me caulking is the similar process but using very different materials that you apply to wooden ships, especially clinker-built (as in the classic Viking longship), where tar, horsehair and other flexible materials are forced into the spaces between the planks to make the ship watertight. I've never heard it applied to brickwork before.

Repointing is another term used for this process as applied to replacing/protecting the mortar in brickwork. But grout(ing) also applies to the mortar-like substance between floor or wall tiles. Here there is no mortar as such, as the tiles are held in place by adhesive on the back of the tile, not by material between the tiles. The grout is there to stop water and dirt getting into the cracks between the tiles. Here "grout" is the only term AFAIK in British English.

Vincent

The bottom coin is clearly intended to be the same as the top coin, it's just that the execution is different, which implies that it was minted by a different mint. The top (finer) coin is the original product, the bottom (coarser) coin is a replacement, made domestically in North Korea after they decided to make their own coins, rather than having them manufactured abroad. I wrote a document about this topic back in the day, it will be available to forum members upon request. (Send me a PM and remember to provide an email address).

Globetrotter

Hi Andy,

is this to your taste?

Globetrotter

This is with better images?

Afrasi

Thanks to all! :-)

So "to groat" is "verfugen" in German.

andyg

It's Vincent that deserves the credit not me :)

Globetrotter

If it hadn't been for you, I would never have documented that variant 8) So the honour to both of you.