News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century

Started by andyg, June 29, 2011, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jostein

New coin series of the CFP Franc to be issued in September 2021. The new series includes a new bimetallic coin of 200 FCFP.

www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/polynesie/economie/de-nouvelles-pieces-de-monnaie-en-septembre-2021/amp/

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Figleaf

The TV station explains how the new series of coins will be smaller and they will use design elements from the banknotes. The Fcfp 200 is a new denomination that will fit into the range of lower denominated coins. The decision to change was apparently driven by climate change considerations. The new coins require less metal, so less carbon production, while replacing plant-based paper by coins that last much longer is a positive that offsets mining.

Earlier this year, the TV station reported that the Fcfp 1 and 2 (relatively large aluminium coins, their size based on pre 1939 French franc pieces) are hoarded and remain unused, largely out of disdain for their small value. If these denominations are still included in the new series, they may not be produced for long.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alex Island

I remember the old issue with this denomination. This is rare and I have little information about it:
All islands around the world & islands coin

Figleaf

An official fantasy (commemoratives "celebrating" no change?) with a mintage of 500, all in sets. There is no agreed standard for what is rare, but it is clear that a mintage of 500 with a survival rate of 100% is not rare. Perhaps "not often offered or demanded" (NOOOD) describes its status better. ::)

More details here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

I haven't updated the parent topic since February 2019. Which sets do I need to add, according to my criteria?

I am aware that Swaziland has changed its name to Eswatini, but so far only two circulation coins of the series have been issued with the new name, and for me that is an incomplete set.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

andyg

Gibraltar had new one year type sets in 2018 and 2019 too.
Australia - new portrait of the Queen in 2019.
China, India and Tajikistan - new set in 2019.

Japan and Oman - new kings in 2020.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Thanks, andyg. I've just finished a mini-image of Gibraltar 2019, but I'd forgotten the 2018 set. They just do it to give me work, I'm sure. The sooner they join the eurozone, the better, so far as I'm concerned.

<k>

Japan I've omitted. The difference in script in invisible to most non-Japanese people, I'm sure, and my topic is essentially a visual one.

I've omitted countries that merely changed their metal types (Poland and UAE, I believe, as our member Pabitra pointed out to me via email) and those with fewer than three new circulation coin types, which rules out the 'peso dominicano' and also Venezuela. Pabitra has mentioned Bhutan and Panama, but I don't see how they fit - at least not with my stated criteria.

<k>

My thanks to forum member Pabitra, who sent me this illustration of the difference between the Japanese Heisei and Reiwa reigns as shown on the coins.

I have included a smaller version of the image in the main topic under 2020.

africancoins

Is it not the first two characters that are of relevance rather than just the first character ?

Also - these pictures confirm that again 1st (in Japanese) has been used for year one coin instead of them just using 1.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

<k>

I have forgotten the relevance of your post, africancoins. I was indisposed for some time afterwards and am still playing catch up.

Now I want to look at relevant sets for 2021, 2022 and even 2023, according to my Terms of reference.

Who can help? I am confused about India. It issued a 75th Year of Independence set in 2021 but didn't add the 1 rupee coin until 2022. And does the amended Israel set fit my terms of reference? I'll have to think about that. I'm out of practice.

africancoins

For the Japan 1 Yen coins (shown in reply 113) that I was referring to, a single character on each has been circled in red. That single character can be used to distinguish the two types. However in each case I seem to re-call that it will be the circled character and the character next to it are together about the emperor's name and/or the era name (I think perhaps just the latter). The emperor names are Akihito and Naruhito. The era names are Heisei and Reiwa.

Also I mentioned that oddly year 1 is shown using what translates as "first" and dates after first use just a number.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

<k>

I see. I suppose that illustration is good enough for the non-Japanese-reading audience, and your elaboration on that can be found here.

<k>

North Macedonia is another country that is making changes piecemeal.

It changed its name from Macedonia to North Macedonia.

The 1 denar coin of 2020 shows the new name.

The 2 and 5 denari coins of 2022 show the new name.

So the process is not finished yet.

But I only show sets that make such relevant changes in a single year.