News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Denmark: trial coins from the 1980s

Started by <k>, August 05, 2020, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Denmark 1 krone 1984'ptn.jpg

Denmark 1 krone 1984-ptn.jpg

Denmark, 1 krone, 1984.  Trial coin.

Images courtesy of NumisBids.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Denmark 1984-ptn.jpg

Denmark 1984--ptn.jpg

Denmark.  Trial coins of 1984.

brandm24

Did any of these trials become circulating coins, <k>? I think they're very appealing.

Bruce
Always Faithful

<k>

Only the designs on the left half of the image below, I believe.

chrisild

Yep, almost right – it is the three pieces that are depicted in a brighter tone or color here which became "actual" coins. So the same ornament is used on all three coins (1, 2 5 kr). You can also find it on the 10 and 20 kr pieces that have a different design.

Thanks for the prøve images! Admittedly I would have preferred more variety; using the three different ornaments would have meant more variety but enough "similarity" to make this a nice set. Ah well ...

Christian

brandm24

Yes, not much variety there but overall a nice set of coins. I was curious as to the ornate symbols around the holed part of the coin. Is there a meaning to them or are they just beautiful art work? I though perhaps a national symbol of some sort...like the Irish Harp for example.

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

4316.jpg

I think they're representations of Viking artwork. You see similar on silverwork from the Viking period.

The design for the other side of the circulation coins (all three denominations) is shown below.

Figleaf

I found the use of M(argarethe) R(egina) strange; the only archaic element in an otherwise modernistic design. I looked it up in KM and found that I had misled myself. On her father's coins, the FR monogram does not stand for FR(ederik) but for F(redericvs) R(ex). How odd. All the more so as Denmark is a very protestant country, while latin goes hand in hand with catholicism. On Margarethe's first series, the latin is maintained, but quickly done away with on later coins.

Another oddity is the date 1984. The holey series was introduced in 1992. Of course, court secretariats and royalty can remodel any mosquito-sized problem to adult elephant size and build a circus around it, but a delay of eight years is about as strange as starting work on a new series when the series current in 1984 had been introduced only in 1982.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I agree with you about the anachronism of the Latin abbreviation given Denmark's generally forward-thinking approach (to its royals and other things). That may be why the obverse design trialled didn't actually get used; the monograms on the issued coins have no R.

But Latin doesn't equal Catholicism. The various political entities that have made up the island of Great Britain since the middle of the 16th century have not only been Protestant, but at times virulently so with (continuing) institutional discrimination against Catholics. Yet Latin is still used nearly 500 years later. Sweden's attitude to Catholicism was similar in the first couple of centuries after the Reformation, yet it was during those centuries that the country's coins carried Latin inscriptions.  :)

Using Latin mostly just invokes the past, with the implication of a glorious past involving pomp and silly hats. Canada and Switzerland have a get-out that using Latin avoids having either multilingual inscriptions or a subset of the population that feels hard done by because its language, despite being official, doesn't feature.

chrisild

As for the ornament used on these coins, the Danish central bank is somewhat vague. ;) The websites of both the central bank and the mint (or numismatic office) are in Danish and English, but it's not that one site or language version is more precise than the other ...

"The ornamentation on the reverse is inspired by prehistoric finds."
"På bagsiden findes en ornamentik, der er inspireret af fund fra oldtiden."

https://www.nationalbanken.dk/en/banknotes_and_coins/Danish_coins/Pages/1-krone-coin.aspx
https://kgl-moent.dk/shop/1-krone-2020-ucirkuleret-338p.html

Christian

brandm24

Quote from: chrisild on August 06, 2020, 06:56:29 PM
As for the ornament used on these coins, the Danish central bank is somewhat vague. ;) The websites of both the central bank and the mint (or numismatic office) are in Danish and English, but it's not that one site or language version is more precise than the other ...

"The ornamentation on the reverse is inspired by prehistoric finds."
"På bagsiden findes en ornamentik, der er inspireret af fund fra oldtiden."

https://www.nationalbanken.dk/en/banknotes_and_coins/Danish_coins/Pages/1-krone-coin.aspx
https://kgl-moent.dk/shop/1-krone-2020-ucirkuleret-338p.html

Christian
Some confusion as to their meaning I see but that only makes them more interesting to me. Who doesn't like a mystery?

Bruce
Always Faithful

SandyGuyUK

Quote from: FosseWay on August 06, 2020, 05:06:24 PM
I agree with you about the anachronism of the Latin abbreviation given Denmark's generally forward-thinking approach (to its royals and other things). That may be why the obverse design trialled didn't actually get used; the monograms on the issued coins have no R.

Sorry to clarify - the used monogram does have an "R" on it - it's done in such a way as to mirror the "2" that also appears on it.  ;D
Ian
UK

FosseWay

Quote from: SandyGuyUK on August 07, 2020, 10:31:28 AM
Sorry to clarify - the used monogram does have an "R" on it - it's done in such a way as to mirror the "2" that also appears on it.  ;D

I'm not seeing an R on the obverse I posted above - just three crowned M monograms with II inside each M.  ???

SandyGuyUK

Quote from: FosseWay on August 07, 2020, 10:49:53 AM
I'm not seeing an R on the obverse I posted above - just three crowned M monograms with II inside each M.  ???

Sorry my bad - I was thinking of the previous monogram used on the earlier coins and now see why it was commented that this had changed.  Put it down to the heat at the end of a long week!  ::)
Ian
UK

<k>

Denmark 1987-ptn.jpg

Denmark, 50 ore, 1987.  Pattern. Only the date is interesting.