News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Countermark

Started by Romeo11, January 23, 2020, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo11

Good Evening. I have found the note in COIN 1989 YEAR BOOK.Countermark - Number, letter or device stamped on a coin subsequent to its issue guaranteeing or changing its value or rendering it current in a country other then that for which it was issued.My question to you;Is this countermark on the picture? If not,what is this.

Figleaf

Can't see clearly what it is, so I am guessing only. It looks like there was a chemical reaction of the bronze on a rectangular area with something that was once on the coin and has now been removed. The coin looks harshly cleaned. Keep in mind that a 1941 penny remained in circulation until 1968.

I can only speculate on this. I think that there was a sticker on the coin. It remained there long enough for the glue to react with the metal. Someone decided the sticker was not interesting and removed it. On seeing the red residual, he cleaned the coin, but the red stuff could not be removed. It is of course not possible to say anything about what was on the sticker.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Romeo11

Look what strong stickers people manufactured 70 years ago.70 years,millions hands and it still on it.Who wash coins?

Manzikert

I think it has been sellotaped down, possibly to an album page? Sellotape is horrible stuff, the glue dries and leaves an almost glassy residue even when the tape is removed.

Alan

Romeo11

Amazing tape.But if it still on it the coin was intended for a few,not for many.I sold TV 6 years ago and it was the best decision in my life.

andyg

I ruined a few coins like this when I first started out collecting as a small boy - I stuck them all into an album with this stuff and they ended up with the same lines across - fortunately nothing very valuable.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Quote from: andyg on January 25, 2020, 06:40:12 PM
I ruined a few coins like this when I first started out collecting as a small boy - I stuck them all into an album with this stuff and they ended up with the same lines across - fortunately nothing very valuable.

Yes, definitely sellotape, and highly likely for the reason Andy gives - I did the same as a child, generally to large coins that wouldn't fit in the pouches on the album page I happened to be using. I ruined a perfectly acceptable Ottoman 40 para, accession year 1255, this way.

brandm24

I think it could be either tape or sticker residue. Generally in my experience tape leaves a hard yellowish mark behind. This looks to be more pink or red but that may be a trick of the lighting used to take the picture. On the other hand, stickers often leave at least a small amount of the the sticker behind as they disintegrate. In any case, not a countermark.

Bruce
Always Faithful