News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

50 Yen

Started by gpimper, January 08, 2020, 04:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

This one had me a little flummoxed until I figured out the date.  1967 50 Yen under the 42nd year reign of Emperor Showa (Hirohito).  3.9g and 20mm.
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Good work, Chief. You don't have to speak Japanese fluently to work out what it says on the coin. The only new character is the one that looks like + at 6 o'clock. It means 10. The character to its left is 5. Together, they form 50.

So what are the chrysanthemums doing on this coin?

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

chrysanthemums...I had to look but realized I remember it.  Also called "mums".  Japan has an annual festival for them.  Not as cool as the cherry blossom festival, though :-) 
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

True, but in this context it's something a bit more official.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

If remember correctly (some times tricky these days :-) it was adopted as the Empirical Seal for Japan.  Update, sorry, Peter, I missed your link...guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought!
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Now that you have acquired the skill to analyse Japanese coins, maybe you can help your daughter do the same. I am sure she's as smart as her mom. ;)

Peter

gpimper

She is smart and we've been working on it.  At 12, however, they are a little flighty  :-\  It's a work in progress.
The Chief...aka Greg