News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

2018 coins in circulation

Started by andyg, March 20, 2018, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

That being the case surely the RM could issue mintage figures each year with the caveat 'provisional' until the final quantity is determined.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on July 10, 2019, 09:22:40 AM
As far as I know the mintage figures of circulating coins are figures of how many coins with that specific date were minted. Not of how many were issued within the specific year.
No, that's not the case.  Or at least it didn't used to be.  I used to get a bit frustrated at the lists as it might appear one year that a particular coin date is rare, only to discover with the following year's lists that the figure had significantly increased.  I'm not aware that's changed.  The lists would always say "coins issued until 31 December (year)" and never "coins struck". 

At one point I think they even had issue limits, so the figures would be pre-determined.  I'm going back a bit now but the 1997 10p was quite rare at first.  The 1997-ending list gave quite a low figure and I had only encountered one in circulation.  Then in 1998 and 1999, many more appeared and the year-ending lists would reflect this.  They were issued well into 2000 until finally, the 2000 date started appearing. 

This was in the days where I would have to write to the Mint for the figures each year.  They could have issued the 1998 or 1999 dates for the 10p but didn't. 
It really was as though they'd predicted how many of the 1997 they would need and that demand wasn't as high as expected.

For many years from 2000, all denominations were struck in significant numbers every year so I took less interest in the lists.  The 1997 10p one sticks in my mind as I was much more into it then.

eurocoin

Although I am well aware that the list said that, I do not think it is correct. Furthermore I do not think that the fact that the mintage figures were every once in a while amended was because more coins were released into circulation.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on July 10, 2019, 08:18:31 PM
Although I am well aware that the list said that, I do not think it is correct. Furthermore I do not think that the fact that the mintage figures were every once in a while amended was because more coins were released into circulation.
With all due respect, you don't have the benefit of living in the UK and seeing for yourself when coins suddenly become more plentiful.  The 10p example I gave was consistent with what I experienced in terms of getting coins in change.

I've never known it to be the case that coins are always issued in the year they are dated.  Often it becomes obvious the following year that they are still being issued.  At one point the latest date wouldn't start appearing until December (increased demand because of Christmas).  With the 10p example, it was extremely obvious that coins I was getting well into 2000 were newly issued.

I'm afraid you are definitely wrong on this.

Alan71

Quote from: andyg on July 10, 2019, 09:46:58 PM
Here's a conversation we had back in 2013 about mintage figures...

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,42091.30/topicseen.html
That link appears to be just to this page?

andyg

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on July 10, 2019, 10:37:31 PM
With all due respect, you don't have the benefit of living in the UK and seeing for yourself when coins suddenly become more plentiful.  The 10p example I gave was consistent with what I experienced in terms of getting coins in change.

I've never known it to be the case that coins are always issued in the year they are dated.  Often it becomes obvious the following year that they are still being issued.  At one point the latest date wouldn't start appearing until December (increased demand because of Christmas).  With the 10p example, it was extremely obvious that coins I was getting well into 2000 were newly issued.

I'm afraid you are definitely wrong on this.

As I wrote, as far as I know the figures the Royal Mint releases are the definitive figures of actual coin production of UK coins with a certain date on them. That is what I understand from all of my communication with the mint over the years, and it is also what the big majority of UK coin collectors think these figures are.

It is certainly true that coins are occasionaly only being issued into circulation 1 or 2 years after they were produced, but it is irrelevant for the above.

andyg

This from coincraft (1999)

<k>

What a mess. Deeman is more likely to have a close encounter than get his hands on an accurate mintage figure, but still he thinks the truth is out there.  :-X
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

Ah, yes, I've got the same book that andyg has picture-quoted from.  That's entirely consistent with what I said.

I know it's law in some countries that coins have to be struck with the the date of that year.  As far as I know it's never been law in the UK, unless that's changed.  There was the example of the new £1 though.  In the "old days" it would have been issued with the date it was introduced (2017) with the coins being struck and stockpiled in the years prior.  However, with the new £1, it appears production started in 2016 and coins struck with that date.

The earlier 1997 £2 example doesn't count as it was intended it would be introduced in 1997 but wasn't due to technical difficulties.  The £1 was never intended to be introduced before 2017.

It would be interesting to know if things have changed in recent years.  Perhaps changes in technology have reduced the need to stockpile, and that coins are actually now struck in the year they are dated.  However, I can't see it changing the lists of coins issued which I'm assuming are (and very definitely once were) coins issued to cash centres etc and not necessarily what were struck.

In terms of how it used to be, the lists were either:

1) Coins struck with that date and issued in that year (which could still mean more were struck in subsequent years)

Or

2) That the issue limit was fulfilled in terms of coins struck in the year they are dated, but not issued until they are required (hence why figures on the list can increase).

There is an odd more recent example.  The Olympic 50p coins were all dated 2011, but started appearing in circulation in Autumn 2010.  This was the first truly blatant example of coins not being dated the year they were struck, and therefore obvious to anyone that got one in change in 2010.  This had happened in 1968, with the 1971-dated 1p and 2p, but they were just in the 1968 blue-folder sets and not yet legal tender.

Deeman

Quote from: <k> on July 11, 2019, 01:37:21 AM
What a mess. Deeman is more likely to have a close encounter than get his hands on an accurate mintage figure, but still he thinks the truth is out there.

And now for mintage figures!!!!!

Pabitra

Quote from: Alan71 on July 11, 2019, 04:32:53 AM

I know it's law in some countries that coins have to be struck with the the date of that year. 

That is precisely the reason for some countries like Spain, Belgium etc having euro coins of 1999 even though they became legal tender in 2002.

eurocoin

It may be that it used to be the way you describe it a long time ago, though that too is completely irrelevant here. I continue to disagree. It is unlikely though that I will look into it.

Alan71

It's not that long ago - the Olympic 50p example was only in 2010.  It may have changed since then though.  The Royal Mint has changed beyond recognition in the last decade, so nothing would surprise me.