News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Zhou Dynasty Round coin, Round hole....

Started by scorpio, March 20, 2019, 07:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpio

I would appreciate thoughts on the authenticity of this coin. It appears to be a Hartil 6.1 with a diameter of 41.2 mm and a weight of 12.8 grams. Both, I understand, within the parameters of a coin of this time period. It has been in my collection for quite a number of years  having bought it from a reputable dealer in Hong Kong for a just a few dollars. On the website of this dealer  - chinese coin guide - ancient knife and spade money - the price range for a similar coin shows  between $475 & $950.  Do you think I have a reproduction or.....?

Figleaf

I wish I were able to authenticate this jaw dropper. I am hoping very much that it turns out to be genuine, all the more because it looks so genuine. TFP.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

scorpio

Figleaf

A reaction I received was I am not experienced in this type, but do know it is one of the most widely copied valuable coins. If an experienced dealer in China sold it for a few dollars, that pretty much indicates it is a reproduction.

This is not a final verdict. The speaker judged himself not knowledgeable enough to give one. It is an indication, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.