News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Peace (not peace doves)

Started by <k>, April 20, 2015, 08:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Please post coins showing peace doves in the following topic:

The peace dove on coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Dominica $20 1979.jpg

Dominica, $20, 1979.  Israel-Egypt peace treaty.

<k>

Finland 10e 2015.jpg

Finland, 10 euros, 2015.  70 Years of Peace in Europe.

<k>

USA $1 2011.jpg

USA $1 2011-.jpg

USA, $1, 2011.  Wampanoag Treaty of 1621.

brandm24

Peace 1.jpg

This being a counterstamped coin is a different take on your theme, <k>, but I think it's an interesting example nevertheless.

I've had this 1918 Penny for sometime now. Apparently, it celebrates the end of the First World War, though there's possibly another meaning to it.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Dollar_1934.jpg

Not too obvious, but the word peace is below the eagle.

There is an even more belligerent looking pseudo coin issue dated 2018 for the same occasion.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

The Peace Dollar had crossed my mind, Peter, but  I don't have any in my collection to show. Though the Peace and Morgan Dollars are attractive coins, I never had an interest in collecting them.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Mine came from the same source: a grand tour of the US by Greyhound bus, visiting every coin shop I saw. The coins were stolen a few years back. The picture was borrowed from a dealer ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

In 2005 Germany issued a €10 collector coin that honored the 100th anniversary of Bertha von Suttner's Nobel Peace Prize. Image from Wikipedia ... yeah, I'm lazy. :)

But it is not so much the obverse or reverse that I find interesting in this context. The edge inscription says "peace" in three languages - EIPHNH PAX FRIEDEN (Greek, Latin, German) - two times. :)

Christian

brandm24

Edge lettering is interesting, Christian, but something that people sometimes don't notice or even know about. As in the case of "Mr. Wikipedia's" coin :), it provides additional information related to the coin's theme.

I have several counterstamped coins with edge stamps applied. I'm not sure how that's done, but the method must be similar to that used to apply reeds to a production coin.

Bruce
Always Faithful