News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century

Started by andyg, June 29, 2011, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on August 24, 2018, 08:42:41 AM
Is that because it's two different Mints?  Pobjoy's obverse portrait is theirs isn't it, so no other Mint could use it?

Correct.

Budapest

Some additions of coins maybe missing (I hope have not overseen...)
- Venezuela issued the 50 c and 1 P coins promised for 2018
- Kenya has a new series of 4 coins
- Argentina issued 1, 2, 5 and 10 P in 2017-18
- SrĂ­ Lanka has new coins since 2017
- South Sudan added 1 and 2 Pounds in 2015 (other denominations are registered)
And good to know that Libya added a 1 P to its earlier set, Bahamas changed their 15 c, and Syria has a new 50 P.
Further suggestions are welcome!

Pabitra

Moldova completed the set by issuing the rest two coins.

Dominican is half way through the amended name of its currency.

Panama has completed its set with revised coat of Arms.

Trinidad and Tobago has more or less completed the change over to plated coins.

Pabitra

UAE also completed its set by issuing  smaller coins, rarely seen in circulation, by issuing them in plated steel.

<k>

Could you show me examples of images of those sets, Pabitra? I'm not sure whether all will meet my criteria. I'm still keen to hand this topic over to somebody else. Bimat, Jostein and eurocoin all tried and gave up for various reasons. Any volunteers? It involves looking at the criteria and committing to updating the topic long term with images.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

1] Once a major set has been issued, I don't include the denominations added later, so that excludes Libya and South Sudan.

2] Moldova I have already posted. What is new?

3] Venezuela has issued two new denominations. In my criteria, I wait for three to be issued, then I call it a major set. So many countries issue only two at a time, that I would never be able to publish them all in time. There is a blog that takes care of the minor issues very well.

4] UAE - the reduction in size was completed some years ago. The latest change is to adopt plated metals, but this does not qualify as major.

5] This Sri Lanka 2017 set is a one year set. I suppose I must post it, but have the designs now reverted to the pre-2017 series?

6] Dominican Republic - I'll have to seek out some images.

7] "Trinidad and Tobago has more or less completed the change over to plated coins." - Cases where circulation coins are minted in cheaper alloys, even when the colour of some coins changes markedly.  Excluded.

8] "Panama has completed its set with revised coat of Arms." - Serbia's recent change to its coat of arms, which is not noticeable at a glance. Excluded - minor, not major, IMO.

quaziright

Quote from: <k> on February 20, 2019, 06:35:38 PM
1] Once a major set has been issued, I don't include the denominations added later, so that excludes Libya and South Sudan.

2] Moldova I have already posted. What is new?

3] Venezuela has issued two new denominations. In my criteria, I wait for three to be issued, then I call it a major set. So many countries issue only two at a time, that I would never be able to publish them all in time. There is a blog that takes care of the minor issues very well.

4] UAE - the reduction in size was completed some years ago. The latest change is to adopt plated metals, but this does not qualify as major.

5] This Sri Lanka 2017 set is a one year set. I suppose I must post it, but have the designs now reverted to the pre-2017 series?

6] Dominican Republic - I'll have to seek out some images.

The Sri Lankan set will be the new set going forward. It's simply dated 2017 because that was the year the specimen set that was presented to the PM a couple months ago, was minted in

<k>

Quote from: quaziright on February 20, 2019, 06:39:26 PM
The Sri Lankan set will be the new set going forward. It's simply dated 2017 because that was the year the specimen set that was presented to the PM a couple months ago, was minted in

Thank you.

<k>

As a reminder, here are some of the criteria I use for this topic : Examples of changes I do NOT regard as "major".

I'm keen to hand this topic over to somebody else. Bimat, Jostein and eurocoin all tried and gave up for various reasons. Any volunteers? It involves looking at the criteria and committing to updating the topic long term with images. It involves a reasonable amount of work, and I am losing interest in 21st century coins.

quaziright

Quote from: <k> on February 20, 2019, 06:42:24 PM
As a reminder, here are some of the criteria I use for this topic : Examples of changes I do NOT regard as "major".

I'm keen to hand this topic over to somebody else. Bimat, Jostein and eurocoin all tried and gave up for various reasons. Any volunteers? It involves looking at the criteria and committing to updating the topic long term with images. It involves a reasonable amount of work, and I am losing interest in 21st century coins.

Yes, quite. I've decided to stop collecting anything issued post 2020 except for a couple countries close to my heart

bjcoins

Hello <k>, you mention ''There is a blog that takes care of the minor issues very well''. Where can I find this blog? Thanks a lot!

bjcoins

The 'plastic stuff' from Transnistria is actually real money! I just returned from the place, and you will see the plastic money in the check out tills in the shops as well as in the money exchange offices. Not too much of it though, the few tourists that visit Transnistria scoop up the plastic coins and the locals don't really like them anyway as they look Mickey Mouse :-). For the rest the country runs on 'normal' local coinage and bank notes. There are a lot of exchange places around to change your rubles/grivnya/lei/euro/dollar to Transnistrian rubles. And back again... absolutely no one outside of Transnistria will change Transnistrian rubles for you...

<k>

Quote from: bjcoins on December 11, 2019, 10:46:30 PM
Hello <k>, you mention ''There is a blog that takes care of the minor issues very well''. Where can I find this blog? Thanks a lot!

This one:

World Coin News

I'm sure you must have seen it.

bjcoins

eurocoin

Quote from: bjcoins on December 11, 2019, 11:12:11 PM
The 'plastic stuff' from Transnistria is actually real money! I just returned from the place, and you will see the plastic money in the check out tills in the shops as well as in the money exchange offices. Not too much of it though, the few tourists that visit Transnistria scoop up the plastic coins and the locals don't really like them anyway as they look Mickey Mouse :-). For the rest the country runs on 'normal' local coinage and bank notes. There are a lot of exchange places around to change your rubles/grivnya/lei/euro/dollar to Transnistrian rubles. And back again... absolutely no one outside of Transnistria will change Transnistrian rubles for you...

Interesting information.