2018 coins in circulation

Started by andyg, March 20, 2018, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

I have certainly been wondering about this aswell. Unfortunately nobody knows. There seems to be no good reason for the mint to delete it. It is another example of one of these vague things that are currently happening at the mint, like the Jane Austen and Aviation coins.

After quite a bit of searching recently I found this copy of the list in a dark corner of the internet, so that can be used in the meantime. Once the mintage figures reappear on the mint's website it may be interesting to check if any figures have changed.

Alan71

Excellent, well found, eurocoin, thanks.

Perhaps if it does come back, they'll change the format.  I say it every time but the one they use is awful.  The 50p and £2 coin types each need to be listed together by date.  As it is there are spare lines that just aren't needed.

eurocoin

The Beatrix Potter 50p coin of 2018 featuring Peter Rabbit is now  in circulation.

eurocoin

The Flopsy Bunny 50p is now in circulation.

eurocoin

The Mrs Tittlemouse 50p is now in circulation. It is likely that no further 2018-dated commemoratives will be released into circulation.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on November 05, 2018, 04:14:15 PM
The Mrs Tittlemouse 50p is now in circulation. It is likely that no further 2018-dated commemoratives will be released into circulation.

If there are no 2018 £2 commemoratives to be released into circulation, then I suppose its a reasonable assumption that the 2019 & 2020 Captain Cook coins will likewise not be released.

eurocoin

An unkown amount of blanks for new 1 pound coins has recently ended up in circulation. All of the pieces were found in bags of 2018-dated 1 pound coins obtained from the post offices. Several people reported having come across them. The blanks were apparently not dicovered by quality control at the mint.

Deeman

£1 blanks on ebay for £100. Will be ideal for numpties!!!

eurocoin

As more and more of them start to appear, upon closer examination it turns out that they are not strictly planchets but rather very weakly struck, images below.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint has decided that going forward the mintage figures of circulating coins will be released alongside those of the sales figures of sets and packs. As the latter are being released with a 3-year delay, we are currently looking at February 2021 before we will know mintage figures of the 2018-dated coins minted for circulation. Completely unacceptable.

Alan71

It's definitely that way round them?  They aren't bringing forward the release of sales figures?

On the bright side, a three-year delay would mean that the figures are more likely to be final.  At present, getting them each year does mean they could increase as coins aren't necessarily issued in the same year as their date.  Plus it means the likes of Change Checker/Westminster won't be able to cause a collecting frenzy by announcing how rare some coins might be until well after the event.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on July 09, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
The Royal Mint has decided that going forward the mintage figures of circulating coins will be released alongside those of the sales figures of sets and packs. As the latter are being released with a 3-year delay, we are currently looking at February 2021 before we will know mintage figures of the 2018-dated coins minted for circulation. Completelely unacceptable.

I completely, fully, totally and wholeheartedly agree.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on July 09, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
The Royal Mint has decided that going forward the mintage figures of circulating coins will be released alongside those of the sales figures of sets and packs. As the latter are being released with a 3-year delay, we are currently looking at February 2021 before we will know mintage figures of the 2018-dated coins minted for circulation. Completelely unacceptable.

When I asked about the mintage figure of the 2019 Britannia 50p obtainable via 'strike your own coin', RM replied that their policy now was to publish mintage information for commemorative coins with a two-year delay, giving around Jan 2022 for all 2019 commemorative coins. The figures being determined by sales less returns. Applying, I thought, to BU etc. issues, since these may be minted in successive years dependent upon demand (for example BU issues of Jemima Puddleduck, I believe, were produced 2016, 17 & 18 with the original issue date of 2016).

The same reasoning should not apply to coins issued for circulation, unless the possibility exists that they too could be minted in subsequent years whilst retaining the original issue date.

Alan71

They are, Deeman.  The figures issued are usually until 31 December of the previous year.  It's quite normal for coins to be issued in the following year (and sometimes even after that).  Even if the actual coins are produced in the same year, the figures only cover numbers issued in it.  This is why the final totals might not be known for a couple of years or so.  If they delay issuing the figures then it does at least mean they're more likely to be final.

eurocoin

As far as I know the mintage figures of circulating coins are figures of how many coins with that specific date were minted. Not of how many were issued within the specific year.