News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

2018 coins in circulation

Started by andyg, March 20, 2018, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Received today a number of the new 10p coins - 16 designs out of the 26.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Bimat

Report your find to Daily Mail and you will be a millionaire instantly... :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

nomadbird

Quote from: andyg on March 20, 2018, 04:10:20 PM
Received today a number of the new 10p coins - 16 designs out of the 26.

Brill Andy, i have been in hunt and didnt manage one yet... may be i visit the bank this week...
Thx
Nomadbird

mrbadexample

That's a good start Andy - I haven't seen one yet.  :(

eurocoin

2018-dated 1 pound coins have just been reported as having been found in circulation. A person got several in change in Gateshead.

eurocoin

The Representation of the People's Act 50p coin has now been issued into circulation in the Birmingham area.

Deeman

Can somebody please explain the rationale behind releasing new coins into circulation.

Deeman

Got a 2018 £1 coin in change at Colyton, South Devon, today.

Figleaf

Quote from: Deeman on October 03, 2018, 08:02:56 PM
Can somebody please explain the rationale behind releasing new coins into circulation.

Not sure what you mean by "rationale" and "new". I hope this helps.

The usual procedure is that the mint provides statistics on coins in stock. The responsible ministry (usually he ministry of finance or equivalent) makes an estimate of demand, using growth expectations, inflation expectations and the trend of money velocity. Stocks are deducted and the remainder plus a prudent reserve is ordered at a pre-arranged price from the mint. If demand is less than anticipated, nothing happens. Surplus coins ar stocked. If demand is significantly higher than anticipated, the ministry places an additional order. Normal stock procedure is Last In - First Out (LIFO), coins struck last are issued first when demand arises. This means mints can still have older dates in stock.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Deeman

Many thanks for your response Figleaf.
Most helpful.

eurocoin

The Tailor of Gloucester 50p of the Beatrix Potter series is now out in circulation.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on September 23, 2018, 07:53:32 PM
2018-dated 1 pound coins have just been reported as having been found in circulation. A person got several in change in Gateshead.
Got my first one just now in Derby.

eurocoin

The 2 Paddington Bear 50p coins are now in circulation..

Deeman

Not sure if this is the right topic for this question.

But does anybody have knowledge as to when the Royal Mint list for £2 to 20p coins, struck for intended circulation, will be reinstated. Conversely, why was it removed in the first place?

If it is going to be updated into a new format, then surely that could be processed in the interim whilst leaving the original list available.

Alan71

Yes, it's annoying me too, Deenan.  It obviously should be there as there's a link to it from the 10p to 1/2p page.  I periodically check in the vague hope it might have reappeared but still nothing.

Sounds like a job for eurocoin!  He has ways and means of getting info.

eurocoin, are you able to oblige for us?