Comments on Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century

Started by andyg, June 29, 2011, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Australia (2016) and Canada (2017) both had new commemorative sets if they are included (I see you have the commemorative Oman set for 2015)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Yes, they are one-offs but should still be included.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Jostein

Mauritania New Ouguiya set released!  ;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Pabitra

Quote from: <k> on April 28, 2017, 06:29:01 PM
Though I think the Australian set did not include all the standard denominations.

The set included all the standard denominations. 1 and 2 cents coins are no longer issued although they are accepted as legal tender. They are rarely seen in day to day transactions. Rounding off cash transactions to nearest 5 cents is legally permissible.

Pabitra

In the current list, you missed Philippines, Ukraine, Romania etc.

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on May 06, 2018, 06:34:31 PM
In the current list, you missed Philippines, Ukraine, Romania etc.

Yes, I will include the Philippines, once I compose a good photo from individual images.

Ukraine - there are only two coins this year, not enough to trigger an inclusion here, and the next two will be released next year, so I will include the set next year.

Romania - I already stated elsewhere that I don't include sets with metal changes or minor legend changes, otherwise I would never be able to finish the task, given that there are so many such changes worldwide. I am sticking only to MAJOR changes.  ;)

Budapest

You may add Uzbekistan's new set of 50-500 Som.
Western Sahara may be a problem since I am not sure how much their coins circulate; nevertheless, there is a new set.
Venezuela is reported to have new 50 c and 1 B but in the present condition they may be cancelled.

<k>

Thanks, Budapest. I'll do that some time soon. Western Sahara - I thought they were fantasy pieces? Morocco rules that territory - legally or not.

Budapest

Regarding Western Sahara, a considerably large portion is under Morocco's rule, however, some parts are independent. Whether they use their own coins, I am quite curious. Maybe the situation is similar to Karabakh which is theoretically independent but they use Armenian coins. Nevertheless, there is a fantasy set which probably never saw Karabakh...
So I am not sure but these Sahrawi coins do not belong to the well-known fantasy issues. More precise information?

<k>

I have no information about the situation on the ground in the Western Sahara. I have always thought that all those pieces are fantasies, but I am willing to be proved wrong.

Figleaf

AFAIK they are fund raisers for sale to exiles and collectors.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

Gibraltar commemorative circulation set
Tajikistan circulation set ( has it been issued?)

<k>

I've added Tajikistan. Gibraltar, it's dated 2017 but being released only now, this year, 2018. I'm still waiting for decent images.

eurocoin

We have no idea what the obverse of the other coins in the series of Gibraltar will look like.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on August 23, 2018, 06:58:31 PM
We have no idea what the obverse of the other coins in the series of Gibraltar will look like.
Is that because it's two different Mints?  Pobjoy's obverse portrait is theirs isn't it, so no other Mint could use it?