News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sultans of Dehli, Iltutmish, Billon Jital i.n.o Caliph Mustansir

Started by capnbirdseye, February 24, 2012, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THCoins

Thanks for the comments Rob. I found no factual information on the mattter from the Tabaqat-i Nasiri, and also not from the Dravya Pariksa of Takkar Pheru. So it remains just a conjecture. Who took the initiative for using the caliph's name we may
never know. But at the time it would be a diplomatic way out. It might have been that Hindu mint staf (and nobles) were sensitive to the combination of the name of the ruler with the religious meaning of the bull symbol. The horse/text Jitals would evoke less resistance because the name of the ruler there is isolated at one side in Arab.

I reserved part of my Sunday afternoon to read the Dyell piece, again thanks for that reference !

As an addition, below two more specimen of the bull and horseman jitals in name of Mustansir. One of mine, one shown in another thread by AndyG here on WoC. Andy's coin gives another clue in the script. The shape of the final "Na" under the tail of the bull is a later evolution of the script than the same character as seen at the end of the legend on the coins of Iltutmish.
As can be seen from the 5 different specimen in this thread, the general quality of metal and strike of these coins is not so great. This is another reason that an issue as commemorative under Iltutmish seems less probable.

drnsreedhar

Let me add one image of Iltutmish coin D47 issued in the name of Caliph Mustansir.

Dr.Sreedhar

drnsreedhar

I had posted a picture of Mustansir issue of iltutmish in your another thread "Just added two Bull and horseman Jitals: Iltutmish & Sharaf Beg, Nandana mint". Saw this thread only afterwards. If you feel that it suits this thread better, please shift it here. Thanks
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

As you can see i moved your post to this thread for the ease of overview !

Anthony

drnsreedhar

Dr.Sreedhar

Tariq

Attaching some from my recent acquisition.

THCoins

Great collection ! Despite the small flans the ensemble allows most of the legend to be read.
Also your group seems to be of the common, low standard, strike quality these usually come in. I have yet to see a high quality specimen which would make it easier for me to believe this was meant as a commemorative issue struck under Iltutmish. In my catalog i will be arranging this as a type probably issued under Razziya sultana.

Tariq

Another one but with the word Hamirah instead of Khalifa on the Horseman side.

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Marvelous find Tariq !
I already had one specimen where i had the suspicion it had hamira, but it was largely of flan. Your specimen is as convincing as it gets !