The predecimal coinage of New Zealand

Started by <k>, October 16, 2017, 03:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

New Zealand ½d 1949.jpg

After the Second World War, Britain began to abandon the Empire.

The legends used up to 1947 included IND IMP, meaning Emperor of India.

However, India became independent in 1947.

From 1948 that title was dropped from the coin legends in New Zealand.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

New Zealand's crown of 1949 famously commemorated the proposed visit by King George VI, which never took place.

The reverse design featured a silver fern leaf flanked by stars. The design was the work of New Zealander James Berry.

<k>

New Zealand obverse QEII.jpg

New Zealand obverse QEII-.jpg

Obverses of a 1953 penny and florin.

King George VI died in 1952.

In New Zealand, coins of Queen Elizabeth II started appearing in 1953.

They used the same uncrowned effigy of the Queen as the British.

It was the work of Mary Gillick.

Below you see

<k>

New Zealand's final crown coin was minted in 1953.

It celebrated the coronation of Elizabeth II.

It featured a Maori carving beneath a crowned royal cypher.

Surrounding the design was a starred southern cross.

<k>

THE END OF THE PREDECIMAL COINAGE

After that, there were no new developments in the predecimal coinage. The last New Zealand coins were minted in 1966 but were actually dated 1965. In 1967 New Zealand went decimal.

The half crown was demonetised on 3 May 1965. The halfpenny and penny were demonetised on 1 June 1968. The sixpence, shilling and florin remained legal tender, being equivalent to 5, 10 and 20 cents respectively, and they were found in circulation until the end of October 2006. From 1 November 2006, they were no longer legal tender. This was because their decimal counterparts were reduced in size at that point, while the 5 cents coin was demonetised.

<k>

Former forum member and New Zealander Martin Purdy ("translateltd") tells me:

"Huge numbers of demonetised Aussie pennies were imported into New Zealand in 1966 to make up a shortage, since none of our own had been issued for circulation in 1965.  A million extra shillings were struck in 1966 but dated 1965 too. I last saw silver (pre-1947) in circulation in the mid-70s, though one or two surfaced again when people were clearing out their change jars in 2005-6.  1947-65 coins weren't common by the 2000s, but the odd one would still appear occasionally."

<k>

L C Mitchell design.jpg

Martin Purdy kindly sent me this image. The design was the work of Leonard Cornwall Mitchell.

He also designed the New Zealand predecimal halfpenny and penny, as well as the Waitangi half crown.

<k>

New Zealand coin set 1953~.jpg

Here the New Zealand coins of 1953 are seen all together.

<k>

cover-no-3d-small-b.jpg

Lovers of New Zealand's predecimal coinage will definitely be interested in Robert Pepping's book, 'New Zealand History Coined. Coins of New Zealand (1933-1965)'.

The 200 page book was first published in 2017. The pages are of large size (known as A4 in the UK) and carry fascinating photos on almost every page. With postage to London, it cost me about GBP 47.00, and I wondered if it would be worth the money. In fact, it is so packed with information, much of which I didn't know, that even if I had paid 200 pounds for it, I would still have thought it worth the price.

The books contains all sorts of information about the coins, including photos of unadopted designs and also of various errors. I had not heard of most of these errors: the Nicaragua florin mule and the broken wing sixpence (1965); the radial flow shilling (1948); the bitten edge threepence (1960); threepence with two die cracks (1935); and so on.

There are also mintages for the mintage hounds, photos of proof sets, and reactions to the coins at their time of issue from journalists and the public who sent in letters.

In short, there is something for everybody. This will surely become a standard reference book for anybody interested in the predecimal coinage of New Zealand.

To order a copy and see some sample pages, visit: New Zealand History Coined (Coins of New Zealand 1933-1965).

See also:  New Zealand history coined.

Mister T

Quote from: <k> on December 17, 2020, 02:27:40 PM
I had not heard of most of these errors: the Nicaragua florin mule

Oh, I missed that in my read of it - I'll have to dig it out again.