News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Karnataka Numismatic Society

Started by MS, September 13, 2009, 05:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS

Aditya,

This is the first time I visited the coin club - It's called Karnataka Numismatic Society. They meet up every second Sunday of the month. They organize a lecture from some of their more experienced members on various topics. The topic today was BI coins. I believe they have planned a series of lectures on BI in the coming months.

Apart from that
- They give out new issues from the RBI at face value.
- Take bookings for proof sets/unc sets and get them on behalf of the members.
- Members are allowed to auction their coins/notes at the end of the meeting.
- A few local dealers also come there. I picked up a couple of commemorative coins for a small premium over their face value.

The thing I liked the most is that they have a decent numismatic library and they lend books to their members. I am under the impression that some of the books are no longer available even in the second hand market. I glanced the titles on the shelves and the BI books I am looking for are there.

Finally life membership costs 1000 rupees approx. $20. I picked up a form and will join them next month. Its worth it for the library alone.

Cheers
MS

Figleaf

Just a suggestion...

Once you are a member, you could do a lecture on "coins and coin collecting on the internet". The old fogeys will be agape and I am pretty sure that even the younger ones haven't fully realized the potential of the net. As a bonus, you get experience on speaking in public.

I have done this sort of thing as a youngster in the Amsterdam coin club. It was the best way to get some respect from the fogeys who'd been collecting all their lives.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MS

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter.

It was on the internet that I interacted with one of their senior members and got to know about the club itself. I think Aditya will probably attest to what I am saying. Most of the Indian numismatists that I have seen, old and new alike are on orkut. One reason for that is probably because orkut is quite popular in India although FB I think will eventually win that space.

MS

Bimat

Quote from: lonsharim on September 13, 2009, 06:14:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter.

It was on the internet that I interacted with one of their senior members and got to know about the club itself. I think Aditya will probably attest to what I am saying. Most of the Indian numismatists that I have seen, old and new alike are on orkut. One reason for that is probably because orkut is quite popular in India although FB I think will eventually win that space.

Yup,most of the senior numismatists are very active on orkut.There are a few dealers too,who sell the coins there..Some of the coins from my collection have come from these people..Many times I have seen collectors selling their collection of foreign coins for a reasonable price and spending that money on Indian coins...There are a few active numismatic communities too..
On facebook,most of the numismatic discussion involves US coinage,which I don't find interesting..

I'm certainly jealous of you,MS.We also have a coin club here (under the name Mumbai Coin Society).But most of the members of the club are the dealers who are more  interested in profit than some serious discussions. :(

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Congratulations to whoever got you to take a look and consider joining. One of the misunderstandings about collecting coins is to think it's an individual thing. Not so. Numismatics is about learning and you learn when you can profit from the knowledge and experience of others. It's a group thing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MS

Quote from: numismatica on September 13, 2009, 06:42:54 PM
I'm certainly jealous of you,MS.We also have a coin club here (under the name Mumbai Coin Society).But most of the members of the club are the dealers who are more  interested in profit than some serious discussions. :(

Aditya,

There were at least 5 dealers in the meeting that I attended. That apart some of the old timers also sell their coins but again my understanding is its not their bread winner but a way for them to advance their collection.

Still, it was good to see the community aspect of the society, the sharing of knowledge, the face value disbursement of new coins and the library were all pleasing aspects.

At the lecture today they discussed why certain coins are rare and historical significance of certain years. Since numismatics is in effect a branch of history it was again nice to see a coin society that didn't loose sight of that aspect as well.

MS

MS

Quote from: Figleaf on September 13, 2009, 06:47:17 PM
Congratulations to whoever got you to take a look and consider joining. One of the misunderstandings about collecting coins is to think it's an individual thing. Not so. Numismatics is about learning and you learn when you can profit from the knowledge and experience of others. It's a group thing.

Peter

Thanks Peter. If he hasn't already visited this forum, I will invite him to have a look here. I am sure it will be mutually beneficial.

Figleaf

It would be OK for the Society to announce its activities on this forum ...

Peter

asm

The Gujarat Coin Society, of which I am a member, meets regularly on the first Sunday of every month. However since it is controlled by dealers - all executive comitte members are dealers, the only activitiy that takes place is coin exchange programme - where one can only buy and sell coins. We host one coin exhibition every year, which is indeed a great draw. And the only stand out point was a lecture by Mr Shailandra Bhandare a couple of years back on the coins of the Maratha Mint of Ahmedabad. (It was infact only during that meeting that I got interested in coins of the Princely states).
I envy the members of the Karnataka Numismatic Society where they have experts teaching the newcommers on a regular basis.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

MS

I will pass on the compliments to the club when I meet them next month :)

saiaditya

Sir

How do I become a member of Karnataka Numismatic Society ?

Dux

rahulrk1999

I saw a post on Karnataka Numismatic Society and read that they give out new issues at face value???
Any thought on that???
I know Mrs. Sridevi[Met her in an expo and she also gave me some doubles for free] and If i'm not wrong she is a commitee member. She told that the fee is 2000₹?????
Any thought on that???
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery but Today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

Figleaf

Don't go for the freebies. Go for the knowledge. Attend a meeting (they are likely to let you in for free on a trial basis) and see if you like it there. If it's all about a couple of dealers meeting collectors cheaply, get out. If it's an occasion to meet dealers and collectors, ask questions, hear opinions (don't be too generous with sharing yours, ask more questions instead) and ogling new purchases, you have found a good place. I can't judge if the knowledge and amusement and maybe friendships are worth spending 2000₹ annually. Only you can. Never ever at any time ever fall for a "I am spending more money on coins than you" race. You can't win and it's not worthy to be won.

Ms. Sridevi seems to have her heart in the right place, seeding young people's interest in coin collecting with some free coins. Honour her gesture with a small purchase.

Peter