Guernsey 20 pence 1982: variations

Started by <k>, May 24, 2017, 11:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Robert Elderton of the Royal Mint provided the following sketches for the Guernsey 20 pence of 1982. They portray a Guernsey milk can - sometimes two. Guernsey is famous for its dairy cows.

In 1982 the 20 pence was a newly issued coin and denomination in the UK, the crown dependencies, and the Falkland Islands. The Guernsey milk can design was issued only in 1982 and 1983. A new design was not issued until 1985, as part of Guernsey's new design series.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork~.jpg

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork'.jpg

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork-.jpg

Some designs show two milk cans, but they do not work very well on such a small coin.

Some of the designs show the coin with a wide rim.

Ultimately the surface of the issued coin had the normal narrow rim.

I dislike the idea of leaving the raised edge blank of text.

The 20 pence is a small coin and needs to utilise all its available space.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork.jpg

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork~~-.jpg

Here is a single can on a coin with a wide rim.

The design is the same, but the two scans are of a slightly different quality.

Since these sketches were made in 1981, that is the date that appears.

However, the coin was issued in 1982, showing that year.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1981 artwork#~-.jpg

Here the text appears in the rim.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1982 artwork#---.jpg

Flat coin, single can.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1982 artwork#.jpg

Guernsey 20p 1982 artwork#--.jpg

Sketches of the issued design.

Note that the font is different on the two sketches.

The version in the lower image was chosen.

<k>

Guernsey 20p 1982 artwork.jpg

A sketch that includes the obverse, for which Guernsey habitually used it state arms.

In 1985 the obverse was replaced with a portrait of the Queen

This coincided with the issue of new design series in 1985.

The new obverse included a small coat of arms next to The Queen's face.

<k>

<k>

When I asked the Royal Mint, some years ago, who designed the milk can on the 20 pence coin, the answer I received was Frederick Mogford. Since Robert Elderton produced the sketches, my guess is that Frederick Mogford produced the model from Robert Elderton's sketches. This would have been necessary if Mr Elderton was ill or holiday when the model was required.

<k>

If you are interested to know which territories and / or dependencies used a 20 pence coin with a raised rim and which do not, see my post:
20 pence variations.

The topic is not quite up to date, as I understand that the Isle of Man has issued a new design series in 2017, in which the 20 pence coin has  a rim on the obverse but not on the reverse. That, of course, has to be a first.

Figleaf

Thank you for showing those designs. They provide excellent background of the thoughts that went into the final product.

I wonder if the sketches you show are dated. I note that there is very little difference between the first sketch you show and the final design. I could imagine it coming later in the sequence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Unfortunately they are not, which is frustrating. They were added to the document without dates. However, we at least see the variations that were considered. There were no comments as to why Guernsey wanted one can instead of two, or why Guernsey wanted a coin without a wide rim.

malj1

S06722.jpg

It's said that the can came from Normandy in 980 A.D. the cans were made completely by hand and the method of making them has not changed for a thousand years. In order to make a can a sheet of tin or copper is needed and for each piece of the can there is a pattern. The pieces are cut out and then beaten into shape with a hammer on a special block of wood. The bottom and top halves are made separately and finally the two pieces are soldered together. The neck is put on top and then the lid is made. It is the same method for all the cans – be they large or small. It takes five hours to make a two pint can and even the small ones take a long time to make.

Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

It's a nice piece of work. I got the relevant 20p in change in Guernsey in 1999. Can't remember whether the date is 1982 or 1983. A small place, but lots to see - a really beautiful island.

Prosit

That special block of wood is in reality any block of hard wood that has been dished out a bit on one side but usually the end grain side.
It can be as fancy or as plain as one wishes and can have different shapes like ovals.

I have made a bowl from copper that way.  It is a fun little DIY project.
Unlike a simple plate or bowl, it takes real skill to make something like a jug or a lidded can.

Dale

forming block.jpg

Quote from: malj1 on May 24, 2017, 02:28:34 PM.....The pieces are cut out and then beaten into shape with a hammer on a special block of wood. .....