2017 coins in circulation

Started by andyg, March 27, 2017, 07:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

Our members who are living in or near these 14 places will likely be the first to get one in circulation. These are the only places where the new 1 pound coin will be issued tomorrow.

Alan71

I'm not in the UK at present, but if I was, it looks like the chances of me getting one today would have been nil!  This is different to when the small 50p and bi-metal £2 were issued.  For those (and I'm pretty sure, also the small 10p in 1992), I went into a local bank on the first day and swapped some old coins for new.  It appears that with this new £1 there is less of a concerted effort to get them out nationally from day one.

As I write, a newsbit on the "New £1 coin's Hidden Security Feature" is the current most-read item on the BBC News app:

"The new 12-sided £1 coin - which comes into circulation on Tuesday - has a hidden security feature to make it difficult to counterfeit.
"It is thought to involve material inside the coin itself which can be detected when electronically scanned by coin-counting or payment machines.
"But officials at the Royal Mint have not released any further details."

"But"??  Do the BBC think the Mint should reveal such information?  That's the whole point of it being secure!

Also, a "Brief History of Decimal Coins" is the current 6th most-watched video on the site.  The BBC has compiled a short, 1 minute 40 seconds of footage covering when each of the 12 previous decimal coins were issued.  This makes the new £1 the 13th new coin in 50 years (though it's debatable whether the 1968 5p and 10p really were new coins, being as they were re-denominated continuations of existing ones).

New £1 coin's 'hidden' security feature
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39409313

A brief history of decimal coins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39294753

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on March 28, 2017, 05:45:42 AM
it's debatable whether the 1968 5p and 10p really were new coins, being as they were re-denominated continuations of existing ones

Yes, I remember you wrote to tell Mrs Thatcher of your strange verdict, when you were a youngster. And what did she think of your opinion?

;D ;D ;D

It's just as well you've been deported, is all I can say.  >:D  We've all heard of people who are capable of having six different opinions before breakfast, and Alan71 is the same person who wrote some genius topics about UK coin legends recently. But apparently he still goes around thinking of 1p as 2.4d, if we are to take his logic seriously, and to him the 5p and 10p are just rather small shillings and florins.  ::)  Talk about English eccentrics. It's a case of Doctor Alan and Hyde71, if you ask me.  :D
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

;D

Well, OK then, they were new coins.  I wasn't born until three years after they were first issued, and we haven't had any comparable changes since then.  There was an error in the BBC video though as I think it mentioned the small 10p being issued in 1993 when it was actually 1992.

This £1 coin issue follows the longest period of "stability" (no major changes to the coinage) in my lifetime, being 19 years (or 20 if you count its appearance in sets) since the bi-metal £2 was introduced.

eurocoin

The first photos of errors are in too (3 from the same bag):

Bimat

Quote from: eurocoin on March 28, 2017, 07:34:01 PM
The first photos of errors are in too (3 from the same bag):

Very lucky owner indeed! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paddyirish

2017 £1 received in change today.

andyg

Standard shield 50p (2017) is out - as well as the Isaac Newton....

andyg

First 50p I've found...

Really unusual to have these larger values (50p / £1) before the smaller ones....

eurocoin

eurocoin

eurocoin

On July 18, a very small amount of Jane Austen 2 pound coins was released for circulation in Winchester only at the Cathedral where she is buried, in Alston only at the Jane Austen Museum and some pieces were spread across Basingstoke. It is said that these pieces, which were released for advertising purposes only, were of BU quality.

During an air show at the Imperial War Museum that is being held in Duxford this weekend, collectors have reported that they have received the World War II 2 pound coin in their change. Likely this was also released for advertising purposes only and these too are likely BU specimens.

Figleaf

It sounds like Pokémon Go without the clues.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

It will be a while before either the 50p or the £2 start to appear in quantity - banks currently have enough in stock of both denominations and are not ordering from the cash centres.