New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onecenter

They look like little "bits" of metal.
Mark

Pabitra

The security measures are classified by two qualities - cost of incorporating and ease of detection.

On second basis, it appears that this security measure would need a device to test genuineness of the coin. Such measures are usually not very successful in attaining their main objective.

eurocoin

The 1 pound coin may be the most counterfeit coin in the UK, there are currently also very high quality forgeries of 20p, 50p and 2 pounds coins in circulation.

africancoins

I have yet to see any of these...

>>also very high quality forgeries of 20p, 50p<<
>>in circulation<<

in circulation....  yet I have likely seen about one fake 1 Pound coin per month over the past 10 or so years (and a few pieces in some months)...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

FosseWay

To be sure, I am not in the UK much these days. But I too have never come across a fake 20p or 50p. No fake £2 in the wild, either, though I do have one of these which was in a job lot I got from eBay.

andyg

There are some rather good fakes of the undated 20p plus all the recent two pound coins available from a website in China, but these are aimed at defrauding collectors mainly.

From change, plenty of fake pounds and just two fake two pounds. I've not seen a fake 50p since the size was reduced and have never found a fake 20p.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

davidrj

Quote from: FosseWay on April 27, 2016, 10:47:28 PM
But I too have never come across a fake 20p

This one from change looks like copper with a white metal coating

David

eurocoin

The Royal Mint charges companies that don't return the trial strike an astonishing amount of 80p. I think we no longer need to wonder why so many of these trial strikes are now part of coin collections  :-X

Jostein

Hi. Pay attention to this images    :o:

Looks that there are too much metal in the inner part of some coins that made a flange or elevation. I hope this is resolved.

What do you think?  ???
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

eurocoin

That looks bad, I doubt they have done anything about this as the coin is already in mass production for quite some time.   :o

Jostein

Quote from: Niels on August 15, 2016, 10:26:43 PM
That looks bad, I doubt they have done anything about this as the coin is already in mass production for quite some time.   :o

I agree, but it is not worthy of the Royal Mint... :-X
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Pabitra

Nice photograph, Jostein.

So finally the year now appears at near bottom on obverse, unlike other general circulation coins of new effigy series.

Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing :)

SandyGuyUK

For me - it's interesting to see on those photos that the micro-lettering does indeed appear to be on the design but the edge legend (including the date - however was THAT supposed to work?!?!) does not!

I'll be interested to see how they look "in the flesh" when March comes...

Ian
Ian
UK

eurocoin

Very interesting discovery indeed, but this date in roman numerals on the edge was a bad idea anyway (as has been pointed out in this thread earlier here). It was also already left out in the official proclamation of February 12 that can be seen here.

Alan71

Quote from: Pabitra on August 16, 2016, 12:19:24 PMSo finally the year now appears at near bottom on obverse, unlike other general circulation coins of new effigy series.

Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing :)
I agree.  It's completely unnecessary.  They could have had Elizabeth II on the right-hand side, then the security device where it is, then the D.G.REG.F.D.2016 which would closely resemble where they appear on other coins with the new portrait.  It really does seem like the Royal Mint now makes it up as it goes along.