News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Mint Announces Plans for New Effigy of Queen Elizabeth II

Started by <k>, November 06, 2014, 03:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

I actually prefer the new one - always thought the old one looked too cluttered with the dots and large writing. Latterly they removed the dots, but we still had the large writing.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

I tend to agree with andyg about the text size, but with <k> about the portrait itself. Retaining the IRB portrait but refining the text would have been ideal.

Alan71

Yes, I agree.  The text size is the most noticeable difference about the new portrait.  That and the fact the abbreviations are expanded and it starts top right instead of bottom left.  I do like the fact that the date is the right way up.  I tend to look at the text first on the new portrait coins, as at first glance I often think the portrait itself is the IRB.

augsburger

A new portrait was always going to appear, they've appeared at intervals throughout her reign. Having something different is just that, it shows progress through her reign, even if she was old looking in both periods of time. Will she make it to the next portrait? Maybe, maybe they wouldn't bother. If she got to 100 years old I think they'd definitely do something.

Bimat

Quote from: augsburger on February 17, 2016, 08:33:07 AM
If she got to 100 years old I think they'd definitely do something.

Yes, with a new slogan like 'Enough now, time to retire!' ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Nobody wants her to retire, because Charles is next, and the PR he's done in the last 15 years or so still isn't enough to make people want him to be king.

Pabitra

I also do not want her to retire.
I wish her a really long life.
Otherwise, I will have to arrange new sets of more than 20 countries.
Will put a big hole in my pocket.

Figleaf

Won't make any difference, Pabitra. They'll just come up with a new portrait and you'll still want the "new" types. Only a republic would give numismatic stability. >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan71

I'm certainly no royalist, but I do have some respect for the Queen.  I hope she lives for a long time yet.  Charles is 70 in 2018... if the Queen lives as long as her mother then he will be pushing 80 by then.  Hardly worth it.  May as well jump to William.  In fact, as William is already about five years older than the Queen was when she ascended the throne, I'm even starting to think that, if the Queen lasts long enough, it should jump to George.

Pabitra

Quote from: Figleaf on February 17, 2016, 04:51:18 PM
Won't make any difference, Pabitra. They'll just come up with a new portrait and you'll still want the "new" types. Only a republic would give numismatic stability. >:D

Not all territories and dependencies have changed effigies at same rate as UK.
Change of Queen by a King ( Charles or William) would legally require immediate change over.
Just managed change of Aruba and Antilles.

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on January 03, 2017, 11:51:38 PM
2016-dated 2p and 20p coins have been issued.  One of each sold on eBay (to me!) with photos clearly showing the obverses.  I have made enquiries with another contact to find out which others (if any) dated 2016 are out.

I assume they used the Ian Rank-Broadley portrait?

Alan71

Yes, still using the Rank-Broadley portrait.  There are still no takers for the Jody Clark one, are there?  I'm starting to think of it as an unofficial portrait.  Until it's taken up by the likes of Australia and New Zealand (and looks like quite a big "if") I will still think of the Rank-Broadley portrait as being the latest official one and the Jody Clark as a UK variation.

eurocoin

Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I thought and what they told me in February of last year.

QuoteThere are still no takers for the Jody Clark one, are there?

Not yet, but who knows what the near future holds ;)

<k>

Of course the Jody Clark portrait is official. It circulates in the UK, which is a sovereign country. Do we gain our sovereignty only insofar as we are a member of the Commonwealth? No. The fact that Australia and New Zealand are also sovereign countries, and can choose which portraits to use and not to use, introduces more variety into numismatics, which is good for collectors.

Canada has used a different portrait from the UK for decades now. Does this mean that the Canadian portraits of the Queen are unofficial? No, of course not.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

I was only referring to how I personally think of it.  I wasn't planning on starting a debate about sovereignty!