News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

1790 VOC 2 Doit

Started by sinial, January 11, 2016, 05:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinial

Is this a special one? ;D

Figleaf

Yes, it is special. The originals were struck on a smaller die or with a larger design: the crown almost touched the edge. They were not struck in a collar. There are many minor differences, including the shape of the shield, the height of the crown, the palm branches and the roundness of the "O". The metal colour seems different also, but that may be the lighting. Scholten lists only patterns in silver.

It looks like a much later strike than the originals (1840-1843) with slightly different, but professionally made dies. However, Scholten lists (743 f) a non-illustrated variant described as: obverse upside down in relation to reverse. Better strike than usual and without gap (the gap referred to is a semi-circle of gaps in the stripes on the arms), perhaps struck in Utrecht - footnote: State Mint, Utrecht and collection Beeckman. It would be of crucial importance to find an illustration of this variant. The State Mint collection is now at the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) in Amsterdam.

The Utrecht mint may have had a reason to test the dies. The obverse die was used for a number of years to produce dog tags.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

sinial

Thanks for your reply.
The only illustration I found is from Zonnebloem, as sample of normal 1840-1843 piece.

Figleaf

Undoubtedly the same coin. That makes it very likely indeed that it is an official issue. The author of the Zonnebloem series has remained anonymous, but it seems obvious to me that he used the resources of the KPK. Not sure if he used the State Mint collection (separate at the time) also, but since both were in Utrecht at the time, he may well have spotted the coin in the catalogue there. Why did he use it as representative? He strikes me as a numismatic amateur with a feeling for research. He may not have cared or he may not even have noticed the differences.

Scholten 743 f seems the best fit to me. Scholten says it is R, making it hard to find. Good catch indeed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

sinial

A similar piece just appeared in MPO auction.
https://mpoauctions.com/en/browse?aid=20&cid=11540&lid=71974

Figleaf

The same dies, I would say.

Peter

HENDRI

Figleaf

Thank you, Hendri. Same dies again, I would say, but interestingly, yours is a bit worn and it has edge nicks. It may have seen some circulation or it may have been mishandled and cleaned a bit too often.

Peter