News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Japanese 500 Yen 'Prefecture' Series

Started by Bimat, January 16, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: Bimat on December 12, 2014, 04:45:19 PM
Today, I received the seven issues of 2013! I'm yet to get the 2014 issues; hopefully soon... :)

Aditya

Three of the "2014" issues are due out in January....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on December 17, 2014, 12:22:51 AM
There will not be many people who have the whole set outside Japan...

Peter

Thanks Peter! It is indeed not easy to find them but you know what addiction can do... ;)

Quote from: andyg on December 17, 2014, 12:30:01 AM
Three of the "2014" issues are due out in January....

Yes that's correct! I'm waiting for the release of remaining issues, it's often easier to get the entire year set instead of buying in pieces...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Miner

Quote from: Figleaf on December 17, 2014, 12:22:51 AM
There will not be many people who have the whole set outside Japan...

Peter

In Russia, the theme of "47 prefectures" is very popular. I personally know of 60-65 people who have collected 35 sets of coins. But the remaining 12 coins will buy far fewer collectors. After all, if before you could buy one coin for 300-400 rubles, new releases will cost 800-900 rubles for 1 coin.

Bimat

These coins are somewhat popular among world coin collectors in India too...Few have them but since they are not easily available, many of them have left collecting them midway. 800-900 Rubles for one coin (unc?) sounds bit expensive to me, but India, they are far more expensive than this (if you manage to find a dealer having them)...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

andyg

I've been paying around $10 each, upto $15 (for the last few early ones I didn't collect at the time) - expensive series, I ordered the last ones just yesterday from Japan (found a nice Japanese dealer that sells them)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Bimat

My sources tell me that the last three issues of 2014 (Ishikawa, Kagawa & Saitama) will be available from January 21, 2015. :)

Aditya

Bimat

Next in the series: Chiba, Nagasaki, Osaka & Wakayam

Image source: World Coin News

Aditya

bububoy

I never collected this series, but looking at these coins they are indeed an impressive lot. The Chiba coin has the pacific coastline, the Wakayama coin also has a nice background of the waterfall.
thanks for sharing.

mahe

Figleaf

The keyhole-shaped island is Daisen-Kofun, presumed to be the tomb of emperor Nintoku.

The church is on Kuroshima.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Miner

Quote from: Figleaf on June 07, 2015, 12:12:33 PM
The keyhole-shaped island is Daisen-Kofun, presumed to be the tomb of emperor Nintoku.

The church is on Kuroshima.

Peter
In my opinion, a church on the coin is more like the Oura Catholic Church than the Church of the island Kuroshima

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

First three issues of 2015 (Fukuoka, Tokushima & Yamaguchi) are out. Remaining four issues for 2015 (Chiba, Nagasaki, Osaka & Wakayam) will be out in early 2016 I believe.

Aditya

Miner

I have their first three issues of 2015 (Fukuoka, Yamaguchi and Tokushima) the day before yesterday received

Bimat

Wow, that was quick! Congratulations! Nice coins as always. :) I think I will wait until 2016; I always prefer to receive all the issues together!  (It's indeed hard to keep patience though, sometimes I just give up and order whatever is available ;))

Aditya

Figleaf

The design on the Tokushima coin shows Awa dancers. The woman wears an Amigasa hat. The man seems to brandish a fan. Similar festivals (Awa Odori) take place elsewhere, such as in Paris.

Peter