2015: Common "European Flag" €2 Issue

Started by chrisild, December 14, 2014, 10:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Interesting that none of the five designs has an "explanatory" text. Then again, something like Thirtieth Anniversary of the Adoption of the European Flag as a symbol of the European Union might result in microprint, hehe.

The second design is not bad indeed; looks a little more dynamic than the others. The idea of little people holding hands (on two of the designs) - well, nice, but I have seen that on other euro coins. The only reason why I would not vote for that design: It is the only one that merely says "2015" instead of the "1985-2015" that can be found on the others.

As for whether I will vote, hmm. It's a bit like an election for a city borough/district council - one is tempted not to vote, simply because none of the options is great, and the vote is not terribly decisive or relevant. But if I don't vote, the turnout may be lousy, with a lousy winner. So all in all, I may vote. ;D

Christian

augsburger

Reason to vote: Prizes......

Okay, you've got to pick the winning design and then maybe get close to the question of how many people will vote for the winning design, or something. But you've got a chance.  >:D

Bimat

I can't vote but my vote is also for #2. 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Actually you can vote, you just have to lie.  8) ;D

chrisild

Yeah, and then Aditya wins and cannot receive his prize. >:D
Side note: According to this page, 62 designs had been submitted ...

Christian

Illioplius

Nothing surprising, all designs are totally neutral and boring. I cannot see any deeper message in them. Stick figures? No, thank you, we have had those on EMU and 10 years of cash coins. Two people dancing? What does that mean? Strange curve with twelve stars? I find it quite unappealing. However, the first design is perhaps the worst: the flag is waving in the wind but the stars seem as the flag was straight.
My vote goes probably to the number 2: the least bad design and it has some romance in it.

Bimat

And the winner is....(announced couple of minutes back)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

So much excitement I can't contain myself (in a small box 1mm by 1mm)  >:D

Alan71

Isn't it a bit boring to have a coin with the European flag on?  It's a rather boring emblem anyway.  It may have meant something in 1985 when there were 12 countries in the (then) EC, but I struggle to work out what the 12 stars are now supposed to represent.  I refuse to have the EU flag on my car registration plates (and I'm not anti-Europe) so I wouldn't be interested in a coin with it on.  It's time for a new EU flag.

<k>

If you want a coin that commemorates the EU flag, what better way to do it than to show the EU flag? Two of the main components of flags are stars and stripes, and the EU flag has stars. I agree, though, with the poster up-thread who complained about yet more stick people.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

^^ The coin already has the EU flag on it though, the stars going round the edge!  There's no getting away from it on Euro coins!

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on May 28, 2015, 07:03:48 PM
^^ The coin already has the EU flag on it though, the stars going round the edge!  There's no getting away from it on Euro coins!

There's no getting away from it, but it is the perfect visual identifier for coins that circulate throughout the euro zone, making them instantly recognisable.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Interestingly, the winner of this competition, George Stamatopoulos from Greece, was also the winner of similar competition in 2009 (10 Years of EMU). Merely a coincidence or...?!?

Aditya

augsburger

Quote from: Bimat on May 30, 2015, 11:37:14 AM
Interestingly, the winner of this competition, George Stamatopoulos from Greece, was also the winner of similar competition in 2009 (10 Years of EMU). Merely a coincidence or...?!?

Aditya

Or just very good at telling people to vote for him. No coincidence, I'd bet most of the votes for him came from Greece.

Jostein

Any of design were interesting, but the winner one is one of the worst. Terrible choose :S
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com