New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Quote from: FosseWay on March 24, 2015, 07:02:33 PM
Because it's not just a new design, it's a whole new specification. The cash handling and vending industries will have to be prepared before the new coin is actually put into circulation.
In that case, physical specifications would have been frozen and specimen tokens given to the vending machine manufacturers by now, if not long back. The concerned authorities are yet to decide the size and weight, leave alone the magnetic signatures. The height of bureaucracy indeed :-)

Jostein

A new image of the coin via http://www.worldbcnews.com/newissues/newissues.html

Sooooo beautiful!

;)

PD: Can someone attach de imagen file? I don't know why I can't do it...:S

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Pabitra

Quote from: Jostein on March 25, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
A new image of the coin via http://www.worldbcnews.com/newissues/newissues.html

When did the Royal mint authorise worldbcnews to change the legend.
The first post on this thread shows year at the bottom.
This image shows it at the top, which is patently wrong.

augsburger

Quote from: Pabitra on March 25, 2015, 01:38:28 PM
When did the Royal mint authorise worldbcnews to change the legend.
The first post on this thread shows year at the bottom.
This image shows it at the top, which is patently wrong.

The first image is what the coin would have looked like had they not changed the portrait. The new portrait, 2015 onwards, will have the date at the top/

Pabitra

Is it true for smaller coins too?
The set for 2015 with new effigy is already available.
Has anyone seen or bought it?
The Royal mint site shows only a tiny image.
The original legend with"F.D." also appears to have been expanded.

Alan71

Quote from: Pabitra on March 25, 2015, 02:17:21 PM
Is it true for smaller coins too?
The set for 2015 with new effigy is already available.
Has anyone seen or bought it?
The Royal mint site shows only a tiny image.
The original legend with"F.D." also appears to have been expanded.
I've got this set, and yes, the new portrait is present on all eight denominations, as is the same inscription starting top right (as opposed to bottom left as previously): Elizabeth II Dei Gra Reg Fid Def.  The £1 in 2017 will, without doubt, have this inscription.

I like the design chosen.  It reminds me a bit of the floral designs used 1984 to 1992 (especially the leek one of 1985 and 1990).  And I definitely do like the 12-sided bi-metal specification. 

Pabitra

Thanks.
I got the confirmation by p.m. from another friend and have posted the update on World coin news.
<k> can update the new series thread now.

Alan71

As has already been said, it will be interesting to see how the Matthew Dent designs fare with this change to the £1.  The £1 was supposed to unite the rest of the coins by having the complete design on it.  It's not going to happen as it's much too soon, but I'd like to see the Dent designs go.  As a gimmick it was fine, but it soon wore off.  I really don't like the orientation of the 50p, and it hasn't been repeated on any commemorative 50p produced since.  It fits the design better, yes, but it looks wrong.

With 5p and 10p coins bearing the Christopher Ironside designs gradually disappearing (due to the recovery of cupro-nickel coins - as if they're really worth much!) I'm starting to wish they would bring those designs back.  Maybe I'm just old and don't like change.  I was born in 1971 so decimal coins with the Ironside designs are what I grew up with. 

Candy

Quote from: Alan71 on March 28, 2015, 01:32:42 PM

With 5p and 10p coins bearing the Christopher Ironside designs gradually disappearing (due to the recovery of cupro-nickel coins - as if they're really worth much!) I'm starting to wish they would bring those designs back.   

I am also starting to miss those cupro-nickel 5p and 10p`s  especially those 1992 10p coins ,    there was something wholesome and appealing about them .

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on March 24, 2015, 07:02:33 PM
Because it's not just a new design, it's a whole new specification. The cash handling and vending industries will have to be prepared before the new coin is actually put into circulation.

Many people are now aware that the Royal Mint will issue a brand new twelve sided, bi-metallic type of one pound coin in 2017.

But did you know that samples will be issued to token issuing companies later this summer?   ::) 

...shades of the Edward VIII threepenny issue of 1937!  8)

Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

Quote from: malj1 on June 03, 2015, 01:44:19 AM
...shades of the Edward VIII threepenny issue of 1937!  8)

So the Queen is going to abdicate?  :o
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

In 1937 samples were also handed out and some of these were never returned.
Malcolm

Pabitra

Quote from: malj1 on June 03, 2015, 01:44:19 AM

But did you know that samples will be issued to token issuing companies later this summer?   ::) 

That was the news I was waiting for.
Can some one easily get hold of a token?
So far, the Royal mint has not given much information about size, thickness and weight.
A token will make that known.

malj1

There is an enquiries phone number given at the link I provided, the email address can be found too, or perhaps use the contact form. The owner of the site is himself a coin collector.
Malcolm

eurocoin

I have attached some photos of one of the early trial strikes. The trial strike in the photos below was recently stolen from The Royal Mint and has been offered for sale to multiple British coin dealers.

12079629_10153198557328030_1873666448081182561_n_zpsl5jvhlfd.jpg

12140635_10153198556903030_8689956912718903225_n_zpsdaqzofoz.jpg 

© Christopher Henry Perkins