News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

augsburger

Yeah, based on the design..... reminds me of the cheesy poofs episode of South Park when Cartman wins a competition to sing the cheesy poofs song on the advert. When the ad comes out, he sings that last second and the rest is replaced by a real singer.  >:D

Though I'm sure the design was the kid's but they merely modified a few drawing issues.

I had one design that used these, but with a daffodil instead of a leek, but I have no idea how to put up pictures from my computer, so you'll never get to see it.  ;D

Bimat

Royal Mint now has more details about the coin:

http://www.royalmint.com/newonepoundcoin

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

And here it is. Designed by 15-year-old David Pearce of Walsall, it depicts the emblems of the four nations. A traditional theme but in a modern form, more free-flowing than usual. I like it! He might have been tempted to do a more symmetrical design, such as appeared on the old sixpence, but I'm glad he didn't.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on March 18, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
I grinned about the Lancaster (or York) rose branch growing out of the leek

It's a Tudor double rose, the whole point of which is that it is a combination of both Lancaster and York (not that Henry VII had the legitimacy of either!).

Figleaf

Indeed. If Cecily Neville's second child, Edward IV, was illegitimate, Henry VII was a usurper, let alone Henry VIII.

Yes, the Tudor rose is a safe assumption, even if we can't know the colours.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

onecenter

A wonderful design.  Congrats to this young man for designing a very important coin that will probably be seen by collectors and the public for time immemorial.
Mark

Candy

Does anyone know when and if Crown dependencies and Overseas territories will change their pound coins and what designs they will use ?

<k>

Quote from: Candy on March 21, 2015, 01:04:53 AM
Does anyone know when and if Crown dependencies and Overseas territories will change their pound coins and what designs they will use ?

No news yet, but the members here will pick it up pretty quickly, once it's out. Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man and Gibraltar usually introduce changes at the same time as the UK. The Falklands and St Helena+Ascension sometimes take a few years to follow our changes. The Crown Dependencies, as I understand, still issue pound notes and prefer them to the coins. Certainly when I visited Jersey and Guernsey between 1999 and 2001, that was definitely the case, and most pound coins in circulation were from the UK. I had to visit the banks to get myself some 2 pound coins.

My topic The Decimal Coins of the Sterling Area gives links to topics on each of these dependencies and territories, so you can see how well or otherwise they have matched the UK's numismatic changes.

FosseWay

The smaller dependencies like the Falklands and St H & A don't issue circulation coins in every denomination every year. They won't change the existing coins just because the UK does but will wait until they next need to issue £1 coins, which may or may not be in 2017.

<k>

A photo of a prototype. Looks good.

Pabitra

Looks really beautiful.
Why do we have to wait till 2017 to get it?

eurocoin

No designers initials are shown, and after having seen the guy's drawing, I think that is right.

FosseWay

Quote from: Pabitra on March 24, 2015, 03:49:59 AM
Looks really beautiful.
Why do we have to wait till 2017 to get it?

Because it's not just a new design, it's a whole new specification. The cash handling and vending industries will have to be prepared before the new coin is actually put into circulation.

Miner

which will have a diameter of the coin?

augsburger

Quote from: eurocoin on March 24, 2015, 01:30:34 PM
No designers initials are shown, and after having seen the guy's drawing, I think that is right.

Where did you see the drawing?