News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Maps on coins

Started by Figleaf, November 28, 2008, 09:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Many of the coins shown are pretty close to medals, so why should medals not count? I'd be interested to see them...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bruce61813

Here is one from Switzerland, Lucerne.

Bruce

Figleaf

Brilliant! It reminds me instantly of the recent Manhattan fiver issued by the Netherlands. Luzern's Kapellbrücke is still there, though restored after a fire, so you can see it on both sides of this medal.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Been there, walked that. :) There is also a Swiss coin (20 fr 2005) with the Kapellbrücke; bought that. However, the coin is not nearly as nice as this gorgeous medal. Besides, it does not have a city map.

Then again, the Swiss "Expo.02" gold coin (50 fr 2002) http://www.philswiss.ch/upload/prj/product/MZCHG02_EXPO02_Gold.jpg shows a map or aerial view, sort of, with the three major lakes of the region (Lac de Bienne, Lac de Morat, Lac de Neuchâtel). The squares mark the expo sites.

Side note: The coin is also interesting because it shows the URL of the expo web site - "www.expo.02.ch" (now defunct, don't bother clicking) - on the other side. Note the dot between "expo" and "02" - they wanted to have expo02 but that was already taken. So the Swiss NIC made this exceptionally short domain possible. But I digress once again. :)

Christian

Bimat

Iran has some issues with its map.I have one or two examples in my collection.I'll post photos if I can find them easily..
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

bart

Looking at my collection today, I found some other circulation coins with a map on it: Madagascar KM#6 10 francs and KM#7 20 francs.
I'll post the picture of the 10 franc.

bart

<k>

Iraq.jpg

Iraq, 50 dinars, 2004.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Azerbaijan, 50 qapik, 2006.

Arminius

Brazil, Republic, 1965 AD.,
20 Cruzeiros (25 mm / 2,39 g), aluminium, mintage 52.026.000 , coin alignment ↑↓, smooth edge,
Obv.: BRASIL , topographical map of Brazil.
Rev.: 20 / CRUZEIROS / 1965 , value and denomination above year.
KM 573 .

:)

<k>

Falkland Islands, 50 pence, 2007.

Argentina, 2 pesos, 2007.

2007: 25th anniversary of the Falklands Islands conflict. Britain should never have lost them in the first place, of course, but it helped Mrs Thatcher's "Iron Lady" reputation when she regained them, and restored Britain's post-imperial military confidence; perhaps this later turned into over-confidence, if you consider Tony Blair's policies.

The Argentinians said "Las Malvinas" were rightfully theirs. The Latin Americans do not like having Anglo-Saxons in their geographical area. However, the Latin Americans are also late-comers, compared to the native Indians, and at least 98% of Falklanders want to remain British, so democracy won on this occasion. Britain also had a lot of covert help from Chile (General Pinochet) and the US under President Reagan. Mrs Thatcher never forgot her gratitude to Pinochet, and spoke on his behalf when he was kept under arrest in England by the Blair government of the 1990s. Now it is said that the Falklands have found oil in their seas, but as usual these days, nothing like as much as was originally expected.

Neither the Argentinian nor the Falkland coin designs are anything special, unfortunately.

<k>

Jersey 50p.jpg

Jersey, 1972, 50 pence.

25th Wedding Anniversary of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

<k>

Liberia, 1973 silver $5 collector coin.

Figleaf

Quote from: paisepagal on November 28, 2011, 06:02:33 PM
And no one has mentioned the Rs2 national integration coin yetfrom India ?

Don't worry, paise, no one has yet thought of maps of Europe either. Plenty of those around, with special effects running from wrong or missing borders to phallic symbols. :-X

Peter

Coinsforever

India regular coins of Rs .2  with Map /Flag - National Integration.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

villa66

An American commemorative half dollar, the 1954s Carver-Washington.

:) v.