News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet

Started by <k>, July 01, 2013, 12:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Quote from: <k> on February 24, 2015, 02:17:11 PM
And your avatar shows an Englishman who masquerades as an American (many Americans do in fact believe he is American, yet he went to the same top private English school as Prime Minister Cameron). All smoke and mirrors, then.  >:D

So did Boris. And he *is* American.

<k>

Kazakhstan now uses the Latin alphabet.

It has also changed the spelling of its country name to Qazaqstan.

See also:

1] Coins from countries with defunct or amended names.

2] Kazakhstan or Qazaqstan ?.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

An update for Belarus, which finally got some circulation coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Tirant

What a great coins you shown. I must say that i love the cyrillic alphabet; when i tried to learn serbian i first learned the cyrillic and it's so easy once you know it. The best of it all is that there's only one letter for each sound, unlike the latin one, where there are many same-sounding letters and others completely useless. So, i hope that cyrillic will stay alive for so many years. And, well, every country should take care and keep their culture, traditions, and of course language and alphabet!!

Figleaf

Nothing is ever simple. As in Latin script, there are several versions of the Cyrillic script, as sometimes a few letters are added to the Russian version in other countries, including Serbia. Also, there is a pre-reform version (Полуустав) that contains more letters and different letter forms. For more detail, see here

In general, a number of newly independent, former Soviet areas tend to use both Cyrillic and Latin letters, but in Uzbekistan, the official policy is to use Uzbek with Latin script only, while in practice, many people continue to use Russian with Cyrillic letters. The choice of script is usually heavily politically loaded in these countries.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tirant

That's true; the serbian version is the one i learned, but i also knew a few letters from the russian version. If it's easy or not... i guess it's like everything: once you get used to it, you find it easy.