News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Which countries issue circulation commemoratives?

Started by <k>, January 03, 2015, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Australia first issued a commemorative florin back in 1927 with the opening of the new Parliament House in Canberra. Followed by another in 1934, the 1934-35 Centenary of Melbourne Florin – one of Australia's rarest issued predecimal dates.

Another florin commemorated 50 years of Federation of Australia followed by one for the Royal Visit of 1954; commemorating the first visit of a reigning monarch to Australia.

Three out of these four I encountered in circulation before D-day 1966.

A commemorative crown was issued for George VI's coronation in 1937 and intended for circulation, followed by another in 1938 which was soon aborted owing to the public rejecting these coins as too unwieldy after questions were asked in Parliament.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

The commemorative florins were an interesting feature of Australian numismatics.

In recent years, circulation commemoratives have become very common in Australia. To my knowledge, they involve, though not necessarily every year, the following denominations: 20c, 50c, $1 and $2.  How many commemorative types of each denomination are typically issued each year? Have there ever been any $5 circulation commemoratives? Of course, Australia has also had some circulating states/territories commemoratives - how many, I can't remember, though I think that each series was limited to a single year.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

Quote from: davidrj on January 04, 2015, 08:50:09 PMSo, anyone suggest the first commemorative coin intended for circulation?
I'm thinking milled, I understand some Roman issues could be considered such

Bergwerk.jpg

That depends on what you call milled. I would define it as struck by machines (in a mill), rather than struck by hammer. That would make especially the low dominations of the Ausbeute (mine exploitation) and Segen des Bergwerks (blessing of the mines) coins of Braunschweig a good contender. There are older coins than the one attached in the series. Their Schauthalers did not circulate.

I know of two Roman commemoratives. Both are beaten by the Greek commemoratives issued by Olympia for their games. Why exclude hammered coins?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: <k> on January 04, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
The commemorative florins were an interesting feature of Australian numismatics.

In recent years, circulation commemoratives have become very common in Australia. To my knowledge, they involve, though not necessarily every year, the following denominations: 20c, 50c, $1 and $2.  How many commemorative types of each denomination are typically issued each year? Have there ever been any $5 circulation commemoratives? Of course, Australia has also had some circulating states/territories commemoratives - how many, I can't remember, though I think that each series was limited to a single year.

A difficult question to answer with so many pieces being issued in some years while in other years there were none. Likewise the various denominations issued had many or none. Perhaps this Wikipedia listing is the best answer showing all that have been issued up to the present time. The numerous non-circulation collector coins are shown here too but these are, very fortunately, listed separately.

There have never been any $5 commemoratives issued for circulation.

Malcolm

<k>

davidrj

Quote from: Figleaf on January 04, 2015, 11:18:32 PM
That depends on what you call milled. I would define it as struck by machines (in a mill), rather than struck by hammer. That would make especially the low dominations of the Ausbeute (mine exploitation) and Segen des Bergwerks (blessing of the mines) coins of Braunschweig a good contender.

Fair point, I was trying to keep the thread within the the realm of the original topic, ie modern base metal coins. Good gold and silver would always be acceptable as bullion

David

Figleaf

I had some lower value coins in my collection. They were definitely worn from circulation or I wouldn't have bought them. I am a bit suspicious about the higher values, like the one pictured above, as I haven't seen any with circulation wear. However, quite some time ago, I read a contemporary letter that mentioned them. If I remember well, it was something like there was a shortage of small change in the town where the author lived until the mining Thalers came in.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

I was looking for a similar Wikipedia page on New Zealand circulating commemoratives, malj1, but I can't find one. Do you know NZ's policies?

What I would like to ask of our members in general is:

1] Does your country regularly issue circulating commemoratives?

2] If so, in which denominations, and how many issues per year (usually) of each denomination?

3] Euro enthusiasts, does each euro zone member have a similar policy?

We have members from many countries, so we should be able to get an overview of the policies of several of these countries. Please post your thoughts on your own country's policies.

malj1

Quote from: <k> on January 06, 2015, 11:54:14 AM
I was looking for a similar Wikipedia page on New Zealand circulating commemoratives, malj1, but I can't find one. Do you know NZ's policies?

I found this:
Commemorative Currency

To mark special occasions or to honour people, commemorative coins are produced from time to time by the Reserve Bank and are marketed by NZ Post Limited. These are legal tender coin products, but do not circulate.
Source from the horse's mouth  ;D I guess this says it all.
Malcolm

<k>

Thanks for that. I'm quite surprised to hear that NZ commems do not circulate. In the UK and Australia they are plentiful.

According to that link, NZ has not issued any commemorative below $1, whereas Australia has issued 20c and 50c commemoratives. In both countries, the highest standard circulation coin is $2.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on January 06, 2015, 11:54:14 AM
Does your country regularly issue circulating commemoratives?

Oh y€$. ;)

QuoteIf so, in which denominations, and how many issues per year (usually) of each denomination?

In the euro area, each member may now issue up to two commems (€2) per year. Or three if there is a common issue. In the Federal Republic of Germany it was a little different before the euro: The 2 DM coins were "commem only" after 1957, i.e. there were no "regular" 2 DM pieces. Also, they were issued to commemorate some anniversary but were minted for several years. With the 5 DM coins it depended - they circulated (to some extent) as long as they had the same specifications as the corresponding circulation coin.

Quotedoes each euro zone member have a similar policy?

Not really. Some make full use of the 2(+1) maximum, others issue just one per year, and some (e.g. Ireland, and Austria with one exception in 2005) stay out completely. That is, they participate in the common issues, but that's it.

Christian

<k>

Thanks for that. It's good to know that the silly denominations do not circulate, such as the French ¼ euro coins.  ::)

chrisild

Ah, those quarters (and €2.50, €3, €5, €8, €10, €12, etc.) pieces are not commemorative coins but collector coins. ;D  And no, the latter do not circulate, see here or in the euro topics.

Christian

<k>

So who is next to give us an overview of their country's policies regarding circulation commemoratives? How about our Indian members?  ;)

Figleaf

In Pakistan, all commemoratives up to and including 2 rupees circulate. The first was issued in 1977 (50 paisa Jinnah).

Peter