News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Japanese Mint Set (1989)

Started by Bimat, December 30, 2014, 04:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Just got it...it's special for me because of two reasons. 1: It's from Japan; 2: It's from my birth year. :D

Token is interesting too..Those who are wondering why snake, 1989 was the Year of Snake. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

andyg

Not sure if the sticky tape is original though....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Bimat

Quote from: andyg on December 30, 2014, 07:59:44 PM
Not sure if the sticky tape is original though....

Good observation! Shall check when I get back to home...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Abhay

And here is mine from 1964, the year I was Born!!!

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

The 'Olympics Special' set, that's a bonus indeed! :)

Aditya

Bimat

I just checked my set and it's really hard to tell if the sticky tape is original or not. Without it, the coins would surely fall out so I believe it's original; even if it's not, I'm happy with it. :)

Aditya

Figleaf

Original or not original, I think you should take it off. The glue has already affected the edges of the coins. If you leave it on, the damage will expand.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

pingu

Hello, Aditya,

your set is original, but the sticky tapes not. The set was in a plastic box. The plastic box in a cardboard.
You find pictures of the set here:
http://www.numismatik-cafe.at/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=85&image_id=1271

The course coin set in the link are not complete. I have about 300 different from Japan - but it are still absent many  ;).

The set of Abhay is very probably given by the bank of Japan. It is no official set. A Souvenier set.

Greetings from cold Germany (-4°C)- without snow  :(

pingu

Bimat

Verify-12

Nice one.  Yeah, if it was mine, I'd try to get rid of the tape...   I have the 1980, 1982, and 1985 mint sets, but not this one.   

I used to have Japan mint sets for 1970, and 1976 through 1979, but I busted those open to fill in my "Toho Planning" (circa late 1970s) coin album.
My album was made before 1982, so the 500 Yen coin isn't included.  Better for me, as I wouldn't want to try to find those 500 Yen coins.  They're pricey in any condition.

I'd show images of my album pages, but I can't get the images sized down to fit this forum.

bububoy

Interesting, I happen to have a mint set issued exactly 12 years after yours and it's in encapsulated !
The snake seems to have grown older on mine >:D

mahe

Bimat

Very nice! :)

The only reason why I got this set was because it was from my birth year. I do not collect modern Japanese coins except the bimetallic 500 Yen 'Prefectures' coins.

I'd show images of my album pages, but I can't get the images sized down to fit this forum.

You can always upload the scans on a third party hosting site (e.g I upload my scans on Photobucket) and then embed them here. 8)

Aditya

Figleaf

• Followed your link.
  • Enlarged a picture until it just showed full pages.
  • Made a window dump and saved the resulting TIFF file.
  • Cut back on blue and red to produce more natural colours.
  • Got rid of superfluous parts of other pages.
  • Converted to JPEG at 80% of quality of the original
I am running a Mac. I used Grab for the window dump, Graphic Converter for the colour adjustment, crop and format conversion. The result is a 59K file, very easily within our limits.

Have fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.