News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Unadopted UK Decimal Designs Circa 1966/7

Started by Galapagos, October 25, 2009, 08:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

These look somewhat Continental in style, particularly the crown (½p) and the lion (2p). The sprays on the 5p are too old-fashioned for the 1960s. In general, the designs use too much space and are a bit too busy. They look more 1950s than 1960s.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

Monsieur Fraisier's strong suit is apparently latter-day medieval illustrations. I like the only non-symmetrical design: the climbing lion. It looks fresh to me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

I added new designs by William Mcmillan in the first post of this topic.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on November 24, 2014, 08:39:36 PM
I added new designs by William Mcmillan in the first post of this topic.

They have a certain charm - I like the swan on the 5p - but again they look more 1950s than 1960s.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on November 24, 2014, 11:17:23 PM
They have a certain charm - I like the swan on the 5p - but again they look more 1950s than 1960s.

The half penny doesn't fit at all in this series and I don't understand why he designed an effigy for the obverse.

eurocoin

Designs by Edward Bawden

<k>

These designs are more consistent, though the scales and the peace dove are clichés, which have appeared on many coins worldwide. Again they look very old-fashioned, but it was only 1962, and the Swinging Sixties hadn't got into their stride yet.

eurocoin

Series of designs by Will Carter, the 5, 10 and 20 pence coins look a bit like the designs on the German coins at the time.

Figleaf

Germany has no monopoly on oak leaves. I rather like these designs, taking into account that they come from another era. For me, the high point is the creative way Carter handled the ½, which avoids making the numbers smaller on what would have been the smallest coin already.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

These designs are very plain - they're more like tokens. And these leaves - they were common even in the 1800s.

eurocoin

Many designs that were submitted by Arnold Machin were shortlisted. Unfortunately some of the images are unclear  :(

<k>

Bahamas 2.jpg

Below you see (at left) a Bahamas design that was never adopted.

Like some of the designs above, it shows a horn of plenty, which he seems to like.

So far as I know, the cornucopia has never appeared on British or English coins.

Figleaf

These designs work on me like busy wallpaper with big roses. Very far away from my taste. Triumph of the fifties...

Peter

eurocoin

A series of designs that was submitted by Robert G. Seller,  a member of the public.

<k>

Seller 5p.jpg

A game of shields?

Most of Seller's designs are similar to already existing designs at that time.

UK shilling 1963.jpg