Japan: New 2014 Coins to Commemorate Shinkansen Bullet Train

Started by Bimat, October 01, 2014, 04:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Shinkansen celebrated on special coins for 50th anniversary

October 01, 2014

Commemorative 100-yen coins will be issued in March to mark the 50th anniversary of the inauguration of the Tokaido Shinkansen Line bullet train service.

The Finance Ministry said five types of coins will be issued, one for each of the Tokaido, Sanyo, Tohoku, Joetsu and Hokuriku Shinkansen lines.

The Hokuriku line will start operations next March. The other four are already in operation.

The silver-colored coins will be made from cupronickel and copper.

The reverse image will be of the first-generation "0 Series" Shinkansen train, widely known as "snub nose" for the shape of its cone.

The coins will be available through financial institutions for 100 yen (90 U.S. cents) each. The number of coins to be issued will be decided in December.

The ministry will also issue commemorative coins for the Akita, Yamagata, Kyushu and Hokkaido Shinkansen lines around March 2016.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Verify-12

Hopefully, it will not be an enormous mintage.  It'd be nice if they kept it below 50K pieces minted (each).

Bimat

From The Wall Street Journal:

They will be accepted for use as regular money, but they can't be used in vending machines, an official at the ministry said.

So there's a possibility that these coins will not be much popular among Japanese people. ;)

Also attaching a better image, taken from The Wall Street Journal.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Here's the complete set of 6 coins, image source: World Coin News.

I really don't mind getting this set, I'm quite fond of coins depicting trains! :)

Aditya

Figleaf

It's a plot! These are not trains, but cartoons, comparing present French politicians with faded heroes. Clockwise, from the common side at upper left:

• Georges Pompidou, former president, thinking about British membership of the EEC.
  • François Hollande, hearing about his latest approval rating.
  • Charles de Gaulle, First Nose of France.
  • Charles de Gaulle, thinking of Alexander the Great.
  • Manuel Valls, prime minister, thinking of the members of his cabinet.
  • Michel Sapin, minister of finance, thinking of a new tax.
Peter ;D
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Verify-12

Quote from: Figleaf on October 02, 2014, 09:01:17 PM
It's a plot! These are not trains, but cartoons, comparing present French politicians with faded heroes. Clockwise, from the common side at upper left:

• Georges Pompidou, former president, thinking about British membership of the EEC.
  • François Hollande, hearing about his latest approval rating.
  • Charles de Gaulle, First Nose of France.
  • Charles de Gaulle, thinking of Alexander the Great.
  • Manuel Valls, prime minister, thinking of the members of his cabinet.
  • Michel Sapin, minister of finance, thinking of a new tax.
Peter ;D

Peter, aren't you forgetting Francois Mitterand?  Certainly one of these trains bears a passing resemblance to him... Philip Short's recent biography on him is a good read.

Figleaf

If you want to remain in good health, don't compare Hollande to Mitterand. Hollande's approval rating has sunk below 20%. Mitterand is seen as cranky and vengeful, which is sort of OK, but Hollande is seen as a klutz Gerald Ford could learn a lot from.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bububoy

As per the announcement on the Japan Mint website last weekend, it is proposed that all major banks will undertake the distribution of the five 100 yen Shinkansen series coins (Tokaido, Sanyo, Tohoku, Jyoetsu and Hokuriku) from the 22-Apr-2015 ! It is however limited to two pieces per person, per series.

http://www.mof.go.jp/currency/coin/commemorative_coin/sinkansen/20150313.html

mahe

Bimat

I merged your topic with existing topic covering the same coins. I hope you don't mind. ;)

I'm very much interested in getting these. Shall try with my sources. 8)

Aditya

bububoy

Good to Go Aditya !
I too look forward to these coins !

mahe

Bimat

Does anybody know what is (was) the issue price of ¥1000 silver proof coin, with the same theme? Can't find any information on Japanese Mint's website...

Aditya

bububoy

The issue price was about JY8300 for this coin. There were only 50000 issued, 5000 were reserved for dealers outside Japan.
Most of it is sold out, the current asking price for this set is about JY40,000 in Japan.

http://www.mint.go.jp/coin/shinkansen_1000.html

mahe

Bimat

Thank you very much, Mahe!

Most of it is sold out, the current asking price for this set is about JY40,000 in Japan.

¥40,000?!?! :o Are you kidding me!!!! This is unbelievable!

Aditya

bububoy

There were over 500,000 people wanting to buy this set, its an interesting process how the mint decided to allocate sets !

mahe

bububoy

Notice of announcement at banks of the availability of the new shinkansen series coins and the exchange limited to ONLY two per person on the first day-

mahe