News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Obverse and reverse

Started by chrisild, July 11, 2008, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akona20

Akbar the great Mughal ruler had some square coins which are rather beautiful but nothing other than calligraphy appears on both sides. So which is the obverse? That is for our squarecoinman to research.

squarecoinman

Quote from: akona20 (Old Man) on August 23, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
Akbar the great Mughal ruler had some square coins which are rather beautiful but nothing other than calligraphy appears on both sides. So which is the obverse? That is for our squarecoinman to research.

Old man , that was one of the reasons , another are some Arabian coins , and some Moorish coins

regards Squarecoinman
World square coin book 1900-2000

paisepagal

Quote from: kansal888 on August 17, 2011, 05:35:37 PM
Dear Friends

One of the forum members has suggested that side of Indian Commemorative coins carrying busts of leaders like Nehru, Gandhi, Tagore, Rajiv, Bose etc may be treated as Obverse. He feels that second side having denomination plus our national emblem be treated as Reverse.

I and others feel that as per the convention, our Ashoka Lion Pillar indicates the authority and it is a constant/continuous symbol of state.  By this logic this side should be reverse.

You are requested to inform if there are examples elsewhere when a bust of dead person (different from bust of living issuing authority) gets precedence over national symbols?

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

An old topic, but new insights for me...until a few years ago, I also use to think that the denomination indicates the reverse while the obverse was the other side. However, as a couple of posts here indicate, the obverse is the 'important side' that carries the issuing authorities name . In this case, that would be "INDIA" and to a lesser extent the Ashoka lion as the symbol. This principle really clarifies it for me! And I do think it is important to note.
There is no doubt though on which side is which, as i've uploaded pictures of various sets in the Personalities and Events thread in the Post 1947 India section. 
An example below

asm

Quote from: akona20 (Old Man) on August 23, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
Since scm has his reply, I take the liberty to reply this one. On the coins of the Mughals as for all others, we always presume the that the face which has the name of the higher authority is the obverse. So for the Kalima type coins of Akbar, the side with the Kalima is the obv. For the Ilahi side, the side with the Ilahi date etc is the reverse......... (I hope I have it correct - but that is what I have learn't in the few years that I have been around on WoC)

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Kushi

This subject has really been overworked. However, here's an example of what makes life interesting.

Usually, the side with the device is considered the obverse. But how about when the device is one one side and the issuing authority is on the other?

Take a look at this rare, old token used to pay workers removing snow from the tramway tracks in Bucharest, Romania. The authority SOCIETATILE DE TRAMVIE BUCURESCI and the value 1 DI are one one side, while the other side depicts a old tramcar and SERVICIUL CURATIREI ZAPEDI, that is Snow Removal Service. Photos: C. Cretulescu.

Personally, I would still stick with the authority side as the obverse.

Globetrotter

Hi, I don't operate with obverse or reverse at all, too complicated, since nobody agrees on anything!

I use year side as side 1 and the other side is obviously side 2. Have you ever seen a coin with the minting year on both sides? I haven't.

So maybe we should switch to that definition?

Ole

FosseWay

Quote from: Globetrotter on September 01, 2014, 09:36:41 PM
Have you ever seen a coin with the minting year on both sides? I haven't.

Sorry to burst your bubble Ole...

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

Quote from: <k> on September 01, 2014, 10:15:56 PM
Excellent. Any more?

Mughal coins usually have a date on one side and a regnal year (the real date) on the other side. Quite a few Ottoman coins follow the same pattern. I like Christian's terminology: one side and the other side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

JoeYuk

Lithuania was difficult for me. 
In 1925 the year,  issuing authority and national emblem were on the obverse.

Then in 1936 they moved the date to the reverse.

Many feel the date is on obverse.  When I loaded pics on omnicoin that is one criteria for obverse.

Globetrotter

Hi,

of course I knew, that some coins have no date, but honestly I didn't notice any with the minting date on both sides. Might be because I don't turn the coin, when I have found  the date already.... so my suggestion is no good either! Bad luck, I can live with it, but I still report my findings to KM as side 1 and side 2 according to my "standard".

Ole

Pabitra

This is a standard topic which is discussed every few years in every numismatic forum.

Lao had issued coins with Christian Era in Roman Numerals on both sides  in its first series. Congo has it on 2 of 3 of its current coins where Dominican Republic has its bimetallic coins with the same property.

Lebanon current series has Christian Era in Roman numerals on one side and in Arabic numerals on the other side.

I am assuming that Ole did not think that Hejira Era in Arabic numerals should be counted as date so I am ignoring those examples.

chrisild

Please note that the posts dealing with the terms NCLT, fantasy etc. coins are now parts of this topic:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,1849.0.html

Christian

Pabitra

New addition to both side dated coins

Srilanka 10 Rupees - district commems - 25 different designs- issued November 2014 - dated 2013

Globetrotter

and it has NO portrait, so the Pos A and B would be very, very difficult to determine, if has an inscription on the rim :-X

Ole