FIFA World Cup Commemorative Coins

Started by Bimat, May 20, 2014, 04:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Pre-Orders for World Cup Coins Begin

May 20, 2014

Pre-orders for commemorative coins for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, which kicks off next month, started on Monday and will be accepted through May 30.

The commemorative coins comprise gold and silver coins from host country Brazil, France and Portugal, as well as gold-plated silver medals made by Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation.

The medals celebrate Korea's eighth consecutive appearance in the World Cup.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

natko

Croatia has also issued a silver proof for the World Championship:
http://www.hnz.hr/proizvod_opsirno.asp?pageID=255&pID=381

Terrible pic there, I don't have better and won't buy it since the very high issue price (~55 eur for not so big piece). They already set high prices with last silver proof which is larger and costs almost 80 euros. Result is that only 20-30 pieces have been sold in over 2 years!

chrisild

Such pieces I consider to be fundraisers. ;) Here is one from France (concave/convex shape like the "space" coin issued in 2009) and one from Portugal. The French piece costs more than €60, the Portuguese one is about €50 ...

Edit - The (enlarged) images of the Croatian coin are OK, I think. What is a little strange is the flag colors - seems they are part of the images but not of the coins.

Christian

augsburger

For some reason, the sight of a person kicking a ball on a coin seems so wrong. I've never seen a good coin with a football player on it.

chrisild

Austria did a fairly good job with its Euro'08 coins, I think. Attached is one of the two. In this case, the "Austrian style" (nothing abstract, lots of details) works well.

Two others that I like were issued ten years ago and do not really feature players. One from Portugal (Euro Cup 2004, image: Kohlross/MA-Shops) showing a somewhat abstract goalkeeper, one from Germany (World Cup 2006) with a ball in an orbit. :)

Christian

augsburger

I don't like that Austrian coin, it just seems weird.

chrisild

Will leave this topic here for the time being. It may go to Thematic Collecting later. :)

Christian

kwcoin

Quote from: augsburger on May 21, 2014, 11:27:37 AM
For some reason, the sight of a person kicking a ball on a coin seems so wrong. I've never seen a good coin with a football player on it.

I respectfully disagree with you here.  Some coins look quite aesthetic. BTW the Portugese coin featured looks cool.  8)

Pabitra

World Cup is a crazy event.
Now even Fantasy coins have commem issues.

Here is a bimetallic from Cabinda

Pabitra

Here is a trimetallic 40 Reais from Cabinda since you liked the bimetallic one.

Pabitra

Israel has issued a Gold coin on World Cup.

Pabitra

Argentina 5 Peso was released last year but issued just recently.

annovi.frizio

Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Bimat

Waiting for a commemorative coin from Netherlands after yesterday's stunning win against Spain. >:D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.