News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Portuguese provas

Started by <k>, April 18, 2014, 02:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Portugal 1e 1980 ptn=.jpg

Portugal, 1 escudo, 1980.  This is the design that was chosen in the end, but the issued pieces are only dated from 1981 onwards.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Portugal 20e 1970 ptn.jpg

Portugal, 20 escudos, 1970.

<k>

Portugal 20e 1970 ptn.jpg-.jpg

Portugal, 20 escudos, 1970.

chrisild

The last two look really interesting ... but had they become circulation coins, I would have gotten tired of them fairly quickly. ;)  As a commem (don't ask me on what occasion though) they would have been good.

Christian

Figleaf

Also, the first design with wind coming from three different directions (depending on perspective).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Destrans

Untitled-1_1.gif

Thanks for your comment Figleaf  :)

Here is one more. It was a Big project for the Escudo.

Gold coin of 25 thousand escudos - Infante D. Henrique.
Turned out not to be issued

Destrans

ultimosescudos.jpg

Writers of The Discovery Era

Diogo do Couto, João de Barros and Gomes Eanes de Zurara.

Those would the last coins of 1000 Escudos to be minted before euro.

But were never issued.

chrisild

Interesting designs - I like the hand with the quill that (almost?) draws the coat of arms.

Do you know what the third one depicts above the year? I can recognize the "P" initial, but the rest.

Christian

Figleaf

It looks like an aerial view of Ceuta, South is up. Zuraza wrote a history of Ceuta between 1456 and 1463.

It might be an illustration in that chronicle, as the convention that North is up took hold later.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

May well be so; not sure whether Ceuta had that water breaker structure back in the 15th century. But in any case, aerial view of a city that he described sounds good. :)

Christian

<k>

Angola $50 1972 ptn.jpg

Portuguese Angola, $20, 1972.  50th anniversary of the first aerial crossing of the South Atlantic.