News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bridges on coins

Started by <k>, March 30, 2011, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Mostar Bridge or Stari Most is a highly emotional symbol of the recent strife in what used to be Yugoslavia. People of different religions and nationalities lost their lives crossing it. It is good that Turkey issued such a wonderfully understated coin. I hope one day Croatia has the moral courage to issue a coin on the same theme in the same good taste.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

davidrj

Not a bridge but a tunnel

Opening of the first Mersey Tunnel 18 July 1934 by George V

32mm aluminium

David

Kushi

Not a fare token, but a nice illustration of the tunnel.

What is the tiny lettering above the word BIRKENHEAD? I would presume the manufacturer and his location.

Kushi

Do  the Mersey Tunnels require a toll payment to pass? Were metal or plastic fare tokens ever used?

Oops. Found the current tolls on the following website:

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/fees.php

Does anyone have a photo of the "Fast Tag", apparently a discount pass?

malj1

The manufacturers mark is T FATTORINI LN B'HAM = Thomas Fattorini London & Birmingham.

They are now also in Manchester.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Kushi

FosseWay

Quote from: Kushi on February 27, 2014, 08:09:24 AM
Do  the Mersey Tunnels require a toll payment to pass? Were metal or plastic fare tokens ever used?

Oops. Found the current tolls on the following website:

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/fees.php

Does anyone have a photo of the "Fast Tag", apparently a discount pass?

Last time I drove through, it cost £1. It's obviously gone up since then... It was a chuck-coins-in-hopper setup - no tokens and no electronic doohickeys either.

malj1

Quote from: davidrj on February 27, 2014, 02:49:06 AM
Not a bridge but a tunnel

Opening of the first Mersey Tunnel 18 July 1934 by George V

David

From the episode of Antiques Roadshow I saw last night; an image of the opening of the Mersey tunnel in 1934 and the book.
Malcolm

davidrj

Interesting!  :)

My late mother told me that she, along with hundreds of others, walked through on the day it was opened. She would have been a 17yr old

I think my medal was given one of those given out to school children, her younger sister and brother would have still been at school in 1934

David

malj1

So no doubt she is in the image somewhere.  :D
Malcolm

davidrj

Destrans

This is a token produced by Fórum dos Numismatas to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the original token

Kushi

Very attractive commemorative token, BUT where is the tramway. See attached image of the original.

Destrans

Today there is no longer tramway  ;D
Now is the metropolitan

<k>

Bangladesh, 5 taka, 1996.  Jamuna Bridge.

See also: List of Bangladesh 5 Taka Coins.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.