Music: Opera Houses, Concert Halls and Other Architectural Venues

Started by Alan Glasser, October 10, 2012, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Quite by accident I stumbled on a rather nice set of 4 coins from Oman, minted in 2011, commemorating the National Opera. The set is available on e-Bay but I researched and found that they still might be available from the Oman National Bank. So I e-mailed a request. The price for the set is 89 RO (Ryals Oman?) which translated to around $130 U.S.., I think. The e-Bay set is $465. Anyone want to place a bet on my chances of getting the set from the Oman National Bank? 

I have had some success before, going direct to the source. When I set my sights on the Jamaica $100 Robert Marley gold coin (KM-172), I wrote the Bank in Jamaica and they DID have several that they were selling, for less than the gold content value! I scraped together my sheckels and bought one by international money transfer. I wish I had bought all of them  now...oh well..][/color][/size]

Alan 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alan Glasser

Just a follow up if anyone is following my endeavors to receive a reply from the National Bank of Oman. No reply yet though I was promised a reply by "form reply" within 48 hours. Perhaps on Monday. This set (below) would make a very nice addition to the Opera House and Musical Instruments subsets, but the price is rather high on E-Bay. I am hoping that going "direct" to the Bank will yield some results. If I hear anything, I will post again.   Alan   Massachusetts

Quote from: alglasser on October 10, 2012, 11:54:56 PM
Quite by accident I stumbled on a rather nice set of 4 coins from Oman, minted in 2011, commemorating the National Opera. The set is available on e-Bay but I researched and found that they still might be available from the Oman National Bank. So I e-mailed a request. The price for the set is 89 RO (Ryals Oman?) which translated to around $130 U.S.., I think. The e-Bay set is $465. Anyone want to place a bet on my chances of getting the set from the Oman National Bank? 

I have had some success before, going direct to the source. When I set my sights on the Jamaica $100 Robert Marley gold coin (KM-172), I wrote the Bank in Jamaica and they DID have several that they were selling, for less than the gold content value! I scraped together my sheckels and bought one by international money transfer. I wish I had bought all of them  now...oh well..][/color][/size]

Alan 

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Australia $1 2013.jpg

Australia, 1 dollar, 2013.  40th anniversary of Sydney Opera House.

<k>

Australia $1 silver 2013.jpg

Australia, 1 dollar (silver), 2013.  40th anniversary of Sydney Opera House.

<k>

Australia 2013.jpg

Australia, 2013: The Land Down Under.  1 dollar, 1 oz silver, and 25 dollars, ¼ oz gold. 40th anniversary of Sydney Opera House.

<k>

Austria, 10 euro, 2005.jpg

Austria, 10 euro, 2005.  50th anniversary of the reopening of the Burg Theater and Opera.

chrisild

The opera house in Dresden, by architect Gottfried Semper, is featured on various coins. Attached are a 10M coin from the GDR (1985) and a $1 piece* issued in the name of the Cook Islands (2009). The building can also be seen on a €10 collector coin (DE 2003) that honors Semper.

* image borrowed from here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2590.msg146727.html#msg146727

Christian

chrisild

Here is one that might as well be in the Dance/Dancers topic: a French collector coin honoring Rudolf Noureev. 30 years ago he became director of the opera ballet in Paris; the image is from the mint's website. The building in the background is the Opéra Garnier which today is primarily used for ballet performances.

Christian

Abhay

Not exactly a coin with the Opera House, but with words "OPERA HOUSE" written on it.

This is 10 gram Gold Coin from Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri, a very famous jeweler from India.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

paisepagal

Quote from: Abhay on September 12, 2013, 05:12:36 PM
Not exactly a coin with the Opera House, but with words "OPERA HOUSE" written on it.

This is 10 gram Gold Coin from Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri, a very famous jeweler from India.

Abhay

this is from their major outlet next to Opera House which was indeed once the Royal Opera House at Girgaum in,Bombay. The building was in a pathetic dilapidated condition till recently. However, i just passed by it the other day when traffic was diverted from Marine drive (a massive crater formed when the road collapsed due to a pipeline burst) and to my amazement, the building has been fantastically restored. However, i think it will become an upscale shopping complex of some sort

and in its neglected avatar

SquareEarth

China has a great number of coins for its Beijing Opera, but unfortunately, they are coloured coins and they look terrible in my opinion.

This one seems like an exception,the colours are quite impressive and striking due to its simplicity.

China 2000 Yuan 2012 Beijing Opera representation of Guan Yu

Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

SquareEarth

Most of the Beijing Opera themed features the Grand Opera Hall, Dehe Garden of the Summer Palace
I do not want to show the obverse side because their coloured designs are not nice.
2002 10 Yuan :"Beijing Opera Zuozhaidaoma"

2000 50 Yuan :"Beijing Opera Longfengchengxiang"
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Alan Glasser

Hello everyone.

Here are scans of my Opera Houses and Opera Scenes coins subset of the Music Coin collection. This is not an area of great emphasis but when I see a piece I need offered reasonably, I will see if I can get it. It appears that the Sydney Opera House is a MAJOR theme in this area and I don't expect to ever complete THAT category. China also has MANY Opera related coins and that also will remain uncompleted. Several of the coins in my scans below are "repeats" from other contributors in this category...and thanks!  Alan

Now if I could only figure out exactly why increasing the dpi's from 200 to 300 doesn't make much of a difference...and what exactly increasing the DPI's DOES do.? AND...why is the Palau coin image so huge? I used 200 dpi. I do NOT understand this "high tech" stuff!!!   ???

Opera Houses and Opera Scenes
1. Armenia  1000 Dram  Spendiaryan Theater of Ballet and Opera  KM-171  2008 Proof  __
2. Australia  $10  Sydney Opera House KM-353  1997  Matte Proof  20,000                     
3. Belarus  20 Roubles  Turando Opera Character KM-189  Matte Proof __         
4. China, Peoples Republic  5 Yuan  Female Opera Role  KM-823  1995  Proof  20,000      
5. Congo (Democratic Republic)  10 Francs  Sydney Opera House  KM-23  1999  Proof  10,000     
6. Cook Islands  $1 Semper Opera House  KM-__           Unlisted            
7. Egypt  20 Piastres  Dedication Cairo Opera House  KM-650  1988  BU  250,000      

8. Egypt  5 Pounds  Dedication Cairo Opera House  KM-649  1988  BU  30,000                       

9. Egypt  5 Pounds  Dedication Cairo Opera House  KM-649  1988  BU  30,000                       

10. Estonia  100 Krooni  National Opera House  KM-43  2006  Proof  10,000                          

11. German Dem. Rep.  10 Marks  Restor. Semper Opera in Dresden  KM-101  1985 Unc 50,000     .

12. Germany- Federal Republic  10 Euro  Semper and Opera House  KM-227  BU  2,050,00               

13. Isle of Man  1 Crown  Winter Olympics (Sydney Opera House)  KM-930  1999  Proof 10,000 est.
14. Italy  5 Euro  La Scala Opera House (Madam Butterfly) KM-239  2004  BU  30,000       

15. Russia 3 Roubles Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater Y-__ 2005 Proof 10,000                                                                                                   Unlisted            
16. Ukraine  5 Hryven  100 years L'viv Opera House  KM-103  2000  Unc.  50,000       
17. Ukraine  5 Hryven  Odesa Opera House  KM-456  2007  Proof ?  35,000            
18. Ukraine  10 Hryven  75 Years of Kiev Academic Operetta Theater  KM-563  2009  Proof  5,000   
19.* Palau  $5  The Opera "Carmen" KM- __ 2011                 Unlisted         

Bimat

Austria €20 (2016): Vienna Opera Ball.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.