News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Half Crown IND IMP 1929

Started by Vivek, September 10, 2013, 04:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek

Hello All
Please share more detals about his coin/Tokne

Vivek

Abhay

Half Crown from Great Britain.

More details in the image from Coin catalogue.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Vivek

Figleaf

Just a few random details.

The letters K and G below the shield refer to the designer, George Kruger Gray.

A crown is a coin of 5 shillings. Therefore, a half crown is 2 shillings and six pence or 2. 6., the highest denomination coin in common circulation. It was common for British coins of this era not to have a value in numbers

The full legend is: GEORGIVS V DEI GRAtia: BRITTanniarum: OMNium: REX / FIDei.DEFensor   INDiarvm.IMPerator. George V by the grace of god king of all the Britons (or Britains, this is still unclear, just as it is unclear who all the Britons or what all the Britains are) defender of the faith (i.e. head of the Anglican church) emperor of India. The coin deals with the royal title before the (higher) imperial title, making clear that it is a local coin, not meant for circulation in India and that the link between the UK and India is a personal union: the ruler happens to be the same person, but otherwise, they are (in theory) separate states.

The shield has four quarters. The first and fourth are England (three lions "passant guardant", walking with one claw up), the climbing lion in a frame represents Scotland, while Brian Boru's harp stands for Ireland. The motives in the shield are repeated in the legend's separation marks, a rose up (England), presiding over a thistle left (Scotland), and a clover leaf (Ireland) right. Wales is not mentioned at this time, because it was conquered territory, not acquired by inheritance or treaty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The full Latin word is Britanniarum, i.e. "of the Britains". "Of the Britons" would be Britonum if I remember my 3rd Declension right. This slightly strange formulation was Empire-speak for all the territories governed by Britain - the 'other' or 'smaller' Britains. The phrase was abolished from the coinage in 1954.

Figleaf

Maybe. Maybe not. There is a stronger case for "of the Britains", but only because the case for "of the Britons" is so weak. I heard someone make the argument that "of the Britains" could only refer to Great Britain and Little Britain (Bretagne), which is more than a little anachronistic, but vaguely possible taking 1066 into account and forgetting about the outcome of the 100 years war and the dropped claim on France. Another argument I heard is that the other Britains would be the colonies. Unfortunately, there is no second example of that usage.

It looks most like a clunker from a half-drunk medieval prince of the church who was a better fighter than a priest plus some active government spinning to make sure there would be no one to blame.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The style Rex/Regina Britanniarum is actually pretty recent, at least in the numismatic context. The earliest coin I can find bearing it is the 1801-1803 issue of the half-guinea (Seaby 3736). It then becomes regularly used on coins of the Recoinage (1816) and through to 1954. The earliest examples also have it in full, making it 100% certain that it is Britanniarum that is intended. (The double T you sometimes get in abbreviated forms is a plural marker, not evidence of illiteracy among die engravers. Compare pp for pages, ff for following (pages), the Spanish form EE.UU. for the United States (Estados Unidos) etc.)

Previous to c.1800 Magnae Britanniae Rex/Regina (King/Queen of Great Britain) was generally used back to 1603 when the whole of the island was united in personal union. The political union of 1707 had surprisingly little effect on the legends of the coins.

malj1

Both Britt: or Br: also appeared on the Australian coinage until Queen Elizabeth ascended to the throne in 1953; it was it discontinued with the introduction of her coinage in that year.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Vivek

Thanks a lot for details!
I got this coin from Dealer. He told me Its British India Issue since IND is mentioned. Also he told me its full silver. But it is half silver. I liked this coin hence purchased although was having doubt about BRT-IND issue. Dealer told me I can return if I do not want but I will keep it :D
Vivek

paisepagal

I like the coin too, good detail.... however, it goes to show what kind of 'dealers' we have to deal with here. They know squat about their own country's coinage... reminds me of two incidences.. one was this kid who prided himself as a big time dealer and was 'enlightening' me on how prices will only go up and why i should act now....and a second story at a coin fair held a couple years ago in which this dealer from Haryana was actually into transport business...I picked up one coin and asked what he wanted for it, the guy tries to argue with me how rare this particular Rs2 coin is. I felt like whacking him. Its more often i have to deal with complete imbeciles, so i don't waste my time with them anymore....better to exchange anytime  ;)

malj1

All Australian coins before 1953 also have IND IMP in the legend  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.