Intended coins of the Japanese WW2 Occupations

Started by <k>, August 02, 2013, 11:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

CHINA Inner Mongolia Japanese Occupation Chiao 1943.jpg

China. Inner Mongolia, Meng Chiang.

World War II Japanese Occupation Issue Chiao (10 Cents), Year 738 (1943). Aluminium.

"Commonly mislabelled as a pattern, this is in fact a currency issue struck in Japan for use in occupied Inner Mongolia. Due to maritime transportation problems during World War II, the shipment containing the majority of this mintage never arrived. It is believed the ship carrying nearly the entire mintage was torpedoed by allied submarines and the cargo was lost, hence very few examples of this issue have survived, with reportedly only about 12 examples known."
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

NEI 1 sen 1944, Japan.jpg

JAPAN: Hirohito, 1926-1989, Aluminum sen, NE2604 (1944), Y-A66, wayang puppet head.

Struck at the Osaka mint for use in the Japanese occupied Netherlands East Indies.

Some 80,000,000 were struck or ordered to be struck.

However, none were ever placed in circulation, due to the worsening war situation.

They remain extremely rare and historically important.

<k>

NEI Jap 5 sen.jpgNEI Jap 5 sen-.jpg

Netherlands East Indies, Japanese Occupation silver trial 5 Sen NE2603 (1943), type of KM-YB66, type of JNDA 8-2, MS61 NGC.

The normal circulation strike is in white metal (aluminum).

<k>

NEI Jap 10 sen.jpgNEI Jap 10 sen-.jpg 

Netherlands East Indies, Japanese Occupation silver trial 10 Sen NE2603 (1943), KM-PNA73, type of JNDA 8-1 (tin).

The normal circulation strike is in white metal (aluminum or tin).

<k>

I have heard of the Japanese Invasion Money (JIM) banknotes, and I understand that these were used. These strikes illustrated above were never used, but did the Japanese produce any Occupation coins that were in fact used?

A list of all the occupied territories and their current names would also be interesting and useful.

Apparently the 5 and 10 sen shown above depict a shadow puppet - presumably an Indonesian one.

gxseries

I believe the Indonesian coins were used - some of the coins that I saw for sale were circulated. Wasn't cheap but should have bought them back then.

There is also a set of Hua Hsing coins that you missed. They are essentially scarce to rare.

<k>

Quote from: gxseries on August 03, 2013, 06:14:20 AMThere is also a set of Hua Hsing coins that you missed. They are essentially scarce to rare.

Thanks for the hint. There is a lot of information out there on the subject, which is new to me, though I do have one of the related coins.

China Republic / East Hopei, 1937, 1 Chiao.

This was a Japanese puppet state, which reminds me that, for the Chinese, World War 2 began early.

gxseries

With East Hopei coins, all of the coins did circulate and they are not uncommon with the exception of 5 li. It's a bit tougher than what many people think.

What I am talking about is Hua Hsing coinage. The only coin that you can obtain cheaply is this:

There are three other denominations which are relatively scarce to rare.