Bridges on coins

Started by <k>, March 30, 2011, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

To add to the cluster of Hungarian bridge coins at the start of the thread, here's the 200 forint issued in the 1990s. It's silver (0.625 IIRC) but nevertheless I was very pleased to get one in circulation when I was there in 1997.

I'm quite surprised that neither the Danes nor the Swedes (nor anyone else) have yet commemorated the Öresundsförbindelse on a coin. Both as a feat of engineering and as an international/co-operative symbol it is an important structure.

Figleaf

I think the Scans and the Hungarians got it right and the Strines got it wrong. You put a bridge on a coin not because it's nicely done (most bridges are) but because it has a high symbolic value. The Chain bridge has such symbolic value. Wikipedia says: It became a symbol of advancement, national awakening, and the linkage between East and West.

The claim to fame of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is apparently that it offers a nice view of the opera house for operaphobes. Mmm. Does that make it a music related coin? :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: FosseWay on February 08, 2012, 07:28:40 AM
I'm quite surprised that neither the Danes nor the Swedes (nor anyone else) have yet commemorated the Öresundsförbindelse on a coin. Both as a feat of engineering and as an international/co-operative symbol it is an important structure.

Interestingly, the fairly new Danish banknotes all feature bridges. Maybe, if they ever add a 2000 kr note, that will show the Ø(Ö)resund connection. :) Another option (again, at least for Denmark) is the thematic coins: They have done towers, fairy tales, ships ... why not bridges, or bridges and tunnels for the next series?

Christian

FosseWay

Quote from: chrisild on February 09, 2012, 10:54:49 AM
Interestingly, the fairly new Danish banknotes all feature bridges. Maybe, if they ever add a 2000 kr note, that will show the Ø(Ö)resund connection. :) Another option (again, at least for Denmark) is the thematic coins: They have done towers, fairy tales, ships ... why not bridges, or bridges and tunnels for the next series?

Christian

If they want to do tunnels, there are plenty to go at in the Faeroes. Most of their major road network seems to be underground these days. Mind you, illustrating a new tunnel may be a bit challenging -- it's not like most modern tunnels have the kind of imposing portals you see on some 18th/19th century canal and railway tunnels.

chrisild

Yes, modern tunnels are more difficult to depict. Here is what the French mint did in 1994, to commemorate the opening of the Manche/Channel Tunnel (image: Dijon Numism./MA-Shops). Quite abstract: one side shows a map with diagonal lines symbolizing the tracks, the other side shows a cross-section kind of view of the three tunnel tubes.

Christian

chrisild

Back to bridges. :) This is a Spanish coin from 2007, commemorating five years of the euro cash (image: Witte/MA-Shops). Don't think this is any particular bridge, but one like that is in the Bujaruelo Valley (Pyrenees, close to the French border) for example.

Christian

FosseWay

That looks like a common-or-garden 18th-century English canal bridge, as built in the hundreds by people like Telford and Brindley. Looks out of place on a Spanish coin!

chrisild

Get the time machine and rewind a little. ;) At least for me, the very first thought was, ah yes, the Camino de Santiago - the pilgrims way to Santiago de Compostela - in northern Spain. (Been there, but as tourists, not as pilgrims.) The bridge that I mentioned is from the Middle Ages (Romanesque); here is an image: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Pirineo_San_Nicolas_de_Bujaruelo.jpg

Christian

Bimat

Turkey 50 Kurus (2009-2011):

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Kushi

Quite a few bridges have used fare tokens to pay for going over the bridge. Some of these depict the actual bridge. They are listed on pages 222 to 233 of Kenneth E. Smith, Catalogue of World Transportation Tokens and Passes except North America, Redondo Beach, California, 1967. USA and Canadian bridge tokens are in Coffee and Ford, The Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of United Stated and Canadian Transportation Tokens, Sixth Edition, Boston, 2007.

Destrans

Hi Kushi  :D

The D. Luiz bridge had two different tokens and later some ballots.

Bimat

Finland €5 (2012): Lumberjack's Candle Bridge in Lapland Province.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Turkey 50 Lira (2012): Usak Bridge in Manisa.

Aditya

Bimat

Turkey 50 Lira (2010): Ahirkapi Lighthouse, Istanbul.

Aditya

Bimat

Turkey 20 Lira (2005): Mostar Bridge.

Aditya