News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Need for a good collection management tool?

Started by cmerc, February 27, 2013, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumbapuri

Quote from: Figleaf on March 13, 2013, 10:44:27 PM
Some dealers sort their lists by KM numbers,

Out of sheer curiosity, can there be any different referencing points instead of KM? Not that I have anything against it, they are great, however as was rightly pointed out to me sometime back, they do miss a lot on India and BI coin variety.

And if you look at the starter of the thread (from his website) he is mainly into BI.

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a referencing no from Priedmore or some other authoritative guides for BI besides KM?

On the db front
One advantage of excel is that it can be stored online (dropbox, g drive, sky etc) and still opened from online storage using an intelligent device. I can think of this being advantageous if one is buying coins from dealers, fairs(something is nowdays happening a lot in India). Though on second thoughts I doubt whether the dealers have a logical pricing :)

Pivot is what even i second to PP. works like a magic wand :)

Regards,

cmerc

Sorry, have been busy so didn't get time to follow up on this post. 

It is in fact desirable to have the capability to have multiple catalog numbers in a database; I sort my collection by Pridmore number.  Also having it online will eliminate the need for excel.  Once could simply access their entire list from a smartphone.  Some flexibility with display options would let the users choose between a concise view (fewer chosen columns) vs. full view (all columns).  That would be ideal.  Excel has advantages, but needs considerable customization to do what one wants. 

Quote from: mumbapuri on March 21, 2013, 06:25:59 PM
Out of sheer curiosity, can there be any different referencing points instead of KM? Not that I have anything against it, they are great, however as was rightly pointed out to me sometime back, they do miss a lot on India and BI coin variety.
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a referencing no from Priedmore or some other authoritative guides for BI besides KM?

Pridmore is the reigning authority on British India coins: Presidency and Uniform.  Recently, Paul Stevens has authored an excellent work on Bengal Presidency coins.  He also has a book on Uniform Coinage which I haven't had time to look through.  Paul Stevens is expected to release books on Madras and Bombay Presidencies, which build up on the works by Pridmore. 

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84649
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.