News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Books and authors

Started by <k>, January 30, 2012, 12:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

2005sp-v.jpg

And here is his most famous character, Don Quijote.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

France 100 francs 1997.jpg

France, 100 francs, 1997. André Malraux.  I like those cats on the reverse.

<k>

Greece, 50 drachma, 1988.  Homer, author of the Iliad and the Odyssey.

<k>

Russia 10R 2002.jpg

Russia, 10 roubles, 2002. 

Government Ministries: Education.

<k>

g213.jpg

Ukraine, 2 Hryvni, 2005. 

75th anniversary of the Zhukovsky Aerospace University.

chrisild

Quote from: coffeetime on February 05, 2012, 01:17:10 PMHere is Cervantes

cervantes.jpg

ES_020.jpg

Same design for the three "Nordic Gold" denominations (10, 20, 50 cent) by the way.

The newer pieces, see below, look a little different but still feature Miguel Cervantes.

architectuur.jpg

Here is a coin that I like a lot. It is about Dutch architecture but shows, on one side, lots of (architecture) books - emphasizing that architecture is not only about designing buildings but also about teaching and researching. The space in the middle has the shape of the country; the birds indicate the province capitals. The Queen's head on the other side is a spiral with many names of famous architects. I attached an image (from archiblog.be) but you may want to view the details here:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/lucgroosman/archiblog/design/scanherd2400_books.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/lucgroosman/archiblog/design/scanherd2400_queen.jpg

Christian

<k>

USSR 1 rouble 1990.jpg

USSR, 1 rouble, 1990.  Anton Chekhov.

<k>

Malawi, 1995.  A girl reading.

<k>

Brazil 1000 reis 1936.jpg

Brazil 1000 reis-1936.jpg

Brazil, 1000 reis, 1936.  Jose de Anchieta.

Figleaf

My favourite author wasn't in this thread yet. Didn't think he'd turn up in San Marino...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Even his great competitor had a circulation coin, but he never wrote a thick book about the heroics of Russian nobility. Shame and scandal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

As far as I know, Sberbank was somehow involved in that project. That was a series of several Cook Islands thingies, also featuring Alexander Blok, Anna Akhmatova and Marina Tsvetaeva. This is the company that made the designs:
http://www.marazdesign.com/FHM,%20THOMSOM.html

Oops, right site, wrong page. Try this one:
http://www.marazdesign.com/coins%20and%20ornaments.html

Also, a USSR 1 ruble coin issued in 1988 - see attached image - honored Tolstoi. (There are more/later pieces too.)

Christian

<k>

Mexico, 8 escudos, 1838.  Gold.

Pabitra

One of my friends has started a thematic collection on coins depicting books.
Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks.

Figleaf

Apart from the four pages of books and authors on coins in this thread, it is mostly a question of patiently wading through KMand deciding what constitutes a book (do stone tablets count?) My guess is that most of the books will be symbols for the constitution or another legal text, unless an author is involved. This one shows a bible. The legend HAC NITIMVR   HANC TVEMVR means we get support from her (the bible), we protect her (the hat of freedom)

Peter