News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

half cent

Started by mrbrklyn, December 16, 2012, 01:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

THCoins

Nice picture of the smallest of the Dutch denominations (not the smallest in size, this is 14 mm there is a 5 cent type which is smaller, 12.5 mm)  The blackness on your coin also nicely illustrates that these coins were produced from blackened copper coin plates for a cerain time period. I have one in a aUNC state which is almost impossible to photograph because it is shiny pitch black.
Your upper picture could be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to put the lion on its feet again.

villa66

Quote from: THCoins on December 16, 2012, 08:24:27 PM
...The blackness on your coin also nicely illustrates that these coins were produced from blackened copper coin plates for a cerain time period. I have one in a aUNC state which is almost impossible to photograph because it is shiny pitch black....
Please, to keep them from being hoarded during WWI (I note this example happens to be dated 1915), or for some other reason?

:) v.

chrisild

With the 1 cent and 2½ cent coins this was done, between 1913 and 1930, to prevent them from being mixed up with gold coins of roughly the same sizes (5 and 10 gulden). And I guess they did that with the half cent too, simply to have a more unified appearance of those denominations ...

Christian

villa66

Very interesting. Didn't occur to me since the coins are so different design-wise, with the long-time (bronze) lions versus the traditional (precious metal) portraits--not to mention the big fat numerical denominations, but it sounds plausible nevertheless. Thanks!

:) v.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: THCoins on December 16, 2012, 08:24:27 PM
Nice picture of the smallest of the Dutch denominations (not the smallest in size, this is 14 mm there is a 5 cent type which is smaller, 12.5 mm)  The blackness on your coin also nicely illustrates that these coins were produced from blackened copper coin plates for a cerain time period. I have one in a aUNC state which is almost impossible to photograph because it is shiny pitch black.
Your upper picture could be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to put the lion on its feet again.

It was reall y hard to photograph or edit.  I was testing out a new camera as well.  I've gotten considerably better at taking these photographs so I might well try it again.