Sketches on an EU theme by David Cornell

Started by <k>, October 03, 2012, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In the 1998 the Royal Mint released a 50 pence coin commemorating 25 years of UK membership.

The reverse design was the work of John Mills.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

DC 50p sketch-A.jpg

Recently the English designer David Cornell kindly sent me two sketches.

He had made on the same EU theme.

He tells me, however, that they were ideas only.

He did not submit them to the Royal Mint.

I know we have several EU-philes among our membership.

So I thought you might like to see them

Here is the first sketch.

<k>

DC 50p sketch-B.jpg

Here is the second sketch.

<k>

Personally I prefer the second design, as it is asymmetrical, and I also like the symbolism of the linked flags. What do our members think?

chrisild

Of course it is not Mr Cornell's fault that we have such maps on each and every circulation coin. These days, when I see a design for an EU-related special issue (commemorative or collector coin) that uses a map, my first thought is, not again. 8) But in 1998 that was different. And the flags take the emphasis away, to some extent, from the map anyway.

And yet I like the first design, with the crown in the center, somewhat better. A single flag may well work fine on a "monochrome" coin, or even more than one if they are characteristic (UK, GR), but not that many. Also, the first design has both years (1973 - 1998) which makes it easier to realize what the coin is about. (Political comment wisely removed. 8) ) The orientation of the stars would not be OK here, but that could have been fixed ... or ignored.

Christian

squarecoinman

World square coin book 1900-2000

FosseWay

I prefer the first. I also like the links elsewhere implied by that design. The general 'roundness' of the central part -- the pattern round the crown and the arches -- is reminiscent of the 1973 EEC 50 pence, the symbolism of the stars is obvious, and the arches remind me of one of the early series of EUROPA stamps issued by the Royal Mail. This one in fact:

Figleaf

The second design seems to be on the EU, rather than UK membership of it. Maybe it was for a different occasion, as the date 1973 is missing.

The first design seems a fine alternative to me, except for the crown, a traditional element in an otherwise abstract design. At a minimum, the crown should have been stylised, I think.

Notwithstanding the above, these sketches definitely deserved to be published.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

UK 50p EU 1992-3 sketch.jpg

Another sketch on this theme by David Cornell.

The pictorial part would probably have needed to be reduced in size.

That would have allow more room for the text.

But it's a fine design, my favourite of the three shown here.

The placement of the map and the inner text is imaginatively done.

Figleaf

The map of Germany changed in 1990...

A vivid illustration of how time can play havoc with maps.

Also, since a presidency is for six months, ending on 31st December or starting on 1st January, how can you have two years?

In 1993, Denmark and Belgium had the presidency.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

I don't know, but the issued coin assumed exactly that. Maybe it went from, e.g., June to June in those days.

chrisild

Nah, just six months as usual. But the coin commemorated two "events" at once: the British presidency (Jul-Dec 1992) and the completion of the "completion" of the single market in January 1993. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11769554

As for the borders, they look OK to me. Except that it looks as if the Federal Republic of Germany had not only taken over the GDR but Denmark too. ;)

Christian

<k>

Thanks for the info.  ;)  I didn't notice the missing Teuto-Danish border. That design, slightly amended, would have looked good on a coin, though. The issued design, which was not by David Cornell, is rather boring.

FosseWay

Not only is the German-Danish border missing, but only one country, the UK, shows internal borders.

<k>

Quote from: FosseWay on February 12, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
Not only is the German-Danish border missing, but only one country, the UK, shows internal borders.

A minor issue. If the design had been accepted, the Royal Mint Advisory Committee would have noticed these issues and required amendments. That is the function of the RMAC, since few individuals are perfect in their knowledge or consistency, and most designs require some amendment. With a few minor tweaks, the design would have made a lively coin.