Akbar Rupee

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, August 09, 2012, 04:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Without a book and with help of net, I find this coin as Akbar Rupee. Don't have any idea about mint and date.

Islam

Figleaf

I think I see regnal year 14 on the upper pic. Wouldn't that make it 977 / 1570?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Figleaf on August 09, 2012, 05:28:12 PM
I think I see regnal year 14 on the upper pic. Wouldn't that make it 977 / 1570?

Peter

I also can see 14 now.

Ansari

Now you can also see Akbar

Mint seems to be Ahmedabad

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Ansari on August 09, 2012, 06:11:48 PM

Nice works. Great works. Very helpful for readers like me. Please carry on Tariq!

Islam

Ansari

asm

This is a part of the legend on the coin......Allah O Akbar, Jal Jallahu ........it is a matter of speculation of what the meaning is. Is it Allah is Akbar (God is great) or is it Akbar is Allah.......Only Akbar could have answered it but no one dared to ask........

Yes.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: asm on August 10, 2012, 03:14:45 AM
This is a part of the legend on the coin......Allah O Akbar, Jal Jallahu ........it is a matter of speculation of what the meaning is. Is it Allah is Akbar (God is great) or is it Akbar is Allah.......Only Akbar could have answered it but no one dared to ask........
Yes.

Both is possible. Actually coins are strong foundation of writing history. And from the coins of Akbar I am compelled to believe that he was believer of Allah, Rasul and even the four khalifas (kaliphs). On the contrary I see that Akbar wanted to create a double face fromthis side of the coin: 1. Praising Allah replacing or fulfiling the similar practice of keeping Kalima on one side, and 2. Keeping his name hidden on the same side as a puzzle. He most likely wanted to introduce (a) greatness (Akbar) as well as (b) kindness (Jalle jalalo), two features of Allah through him (Akbar) for his people.

Islam

Ansari

Quote from: asm on August 10, 2012, 03:14:45 AM
This is a part of the legend on the coin......Allah O Akbar, Jal Jallahu ........it is a matter of speculation of what the meaning is. Is it Allah is Akbar (God is great) or is it Akbar is Allah.......Only Akbar could have answered it but no one dared to ask.

Its "Allahu Akbar jalla jalaluhu"  "God is Greatest, His Glory is Great" ...this term is centuries older than Akbar(the king) and one of the most commonly used phrase. Akbar simply is a word which means "The Greatest".

As per history Akbar never claimed divinity or asked others to worship him on the contrary he believed in God n prayed to him.

So speculating over any other meaning (2nd one) is void ab initio.

What i can think of why this phrase was used as a metaphorical term which serves both the purpose.1- Praising God, 2- Showing his name.