News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Crowns on coins

Started by <k>, August 12, 2011, 07:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: coffeetime on August 14, 2011, 11:28:04 AM
I was in a roundabout way wondering whether the word "crown" as a denomination was related to the word denoting a monarch's headgear.

Sure. And that is why I tried to explain where the currency name came from. ;D

Christian

Figleaf

Yes, in Britain, the name crown is connected a monarchial head cover. In 1526, cardinal Wolsey had a gold coin struck of 4/6 with crowned arms on it. In fact, it was an écu au soleil, but somehow, it acquired an English nickname: crown of the rose. This proved too long again, so only the first word stuck by the time (1551) a crown of the double rose (5/-) was introduced. Since that time, the word "crown" could refer to a piece of 5 shillings.

In the Czech republic, it is connected to the Austrian denomination Krone, as Christian explained, which is in turn derived from Kronenthaler. The official name of this coin of the Southern Netherlands was Albertustaler. It showed a St. Andrews cross with three crowns. During one of Austria's interminable wars with its neighbours, its own silver coins were replaced by those of the Southern Netherlands, that were slightly underweight. To separate all the different weight thalers, they all got different names that eventually bore no relation with their design. In that way, Kronenthaler, abbreviated Krone, became a denomination.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Denmark 1995 20K.jpg

Denmark, 1995, 20 kroner. 1000 years of the krone.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Italy 10c 1808.jpg

Italy soldo 1808.jpg

Italy under Napoleon.

<k>

Austrian Netherlands, Kronentaler, 1793.jpg

Austrian Netherlands, Kronentaler, 1793.  But why THREE crowns?

Figleaf

They are the crowns of Germany, Austria and Burgundy. The Habsburg archduke of Austria was almost automatically (the electors did expect the usual bribe, of course) elected emperor of Germany. The title of Burgundy, which had long been lost to the kings of France, goes back to the mariage of Marie of Burgundy with Maximillian of Austria. As titularly dukes of Burgundy, the Habsburgs surrounded their arms with the chain and insignia of the golden fleece, the Burgundian order of chivalry. On this coin, the arms are replaced by a fire iron (a device in the shape of a B to strike sparks with) on a Burgundian cross (I think it represents sparks, others take it for branches) with the order below.

The Kronenthaler is in principle a coin of the Southern Netherlands. The Habsburgs could claim that they were dukes of Brabant and counts of Flanders, but they needed the Burgundy title for the rest of the area. The legend is ARCHidvx.AVSTriae.DVX.BVRGvndiae.LOTHaringiae.BRABantiae.COMvs.FLANdriae - archduke of Austria, duke of Burgundy Lotharingia Brabant, count of Flanders. The obverse would have the name of Francis II, the last emperor of the holy Roman empire.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Iran, 100 dinars, 1908.  A crown on both sides of the coin.

bart

74_62429789f9fbc0e11L.jpg

Here's another worn coin from my collection, a 5 centesimi.

It shows the crown of Venice as inferior to the Austrian imperial crown.

At that time the formerly independent states of Lombardy and Venice were, combined in a sole kingdom, part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

<k>

Danzig 1Pf-1G.jpg

Danzig, 1Pfennig, 1937, and 1 Gulden, 1932. 

The crowns on these coins are different. 

Does anyone know their significance?

chrisild

The crown symbolizes the privileges that Danzig/Gdańsk was granted by the Polish king (Kazimierz IV Jagiellończyk) in the 15th century. Before that time, the CoA consisted of the two crosses only - since then, there has been the crown at the top. Why the two crowns on the two coins look a little different, I don't know. Artistic license, I think. :) The 1937 coin is from a series that was started earlier than the 1932 coin, by the way.

On the official CoA the three elements (crown, upper cross, lower cross) do not touch or overlap. See here:
(greater) http://www.gdansk.pl/_podstrony/multimedia/nowe_logo/Gdansk.jpg
(lesser) http://www.gdansk.pl/_podstrony/multimedia/nowe_logo/godlo.gif

Here you can see a number of varieties throughout the centuries:
http://www.en.gdansk.gda.pl/about,2,22.html

Christian

brokencompass

My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Harry

KGV_crown.JPG

Hmmm... looks familiar to me too!!! Wonder where I've seen it???
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Md. Shariful Islam

Probably Edward did not like the crown as the jewels on the crown are not beyond questions. I honor him and I spent my whole day today to clean his bald head.

Islam

repindia

Quote from: Harry on June 05, 2012, 06:01:16 PM
Hmmm... looks familiar to me too!!! Wonder where I've seen it???

This is the Imperial State Crown and the original post has the Imperial Crown of India. :)

According to Wikipedia the India crown was worn only once by George V and made especially for the Emperor of India.

<k>

Sicily 10T 1859.jpg

Sicily, 10 tornesi, 1859.

What's the point of being a king if you can't be shown wearing your crown?

The artist must have drawn his head too big to fit the crown  in.